Author Topic: Evaporust is voodoo  (Read 2363 times)

Offline KevinK

Re: Evaporust is voodoo
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 06:37:34 PM »
I tried Evaporust but it didn't seem to work well for me  Probably due to the condition of my parts.  I recently started using CLR with good results.  It does seem to remove or affect some types of plating especially the yellow ones.  I'm working with cleaning up things on my 89 as I just had it painted.

Here is the before an after pictures of the upper bumper cover bracket.  The new repro replacements were too different so I used the original ones.

MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 05:00:52 AM »
This is a good article from a tool group here in Australia
Worth reading to get a better understanding of the citric acid rust removal process
Then make your own mind up.

http://www.tttg.org.au/Content/TTTG%20Citric%20Acid%20Rust%20Removal%20Instructions.pdf
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:24:32 PM by petersixtfive »
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 09:55:35 PM »
Bob,

I haven't got it down to a science.  I've used 5 gallon home Depot buckets with two cups powder and de-rusted front spindles, brake caliper assemblies, backing shields, all the bolts and hardware and now I've got two upper control arms in the same solution after those parts. I basically spray parts with degreaser, take to carwash and power wash, then in the bucket they go.  Sit overnight, scrub with scratchpad, rinse, dry, put on protector then ready to store for future restoration steps.  It won't affect paint, but does cut grease and grime along with rust.  I did my whole rear end housing in a 42 gallon trash can and @ 4 cups of powder.  Came out amazing and didn't have to worry about chemical hazards of other products. 

Hope that somewhat helps.
Dan in Kansas

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 11:54:35 PM »
Bob,

I haven't got it down to a science.  I've used 5 gallon home Depot buckets with two cups powder and de-rusted front spindles, brake caliper assemblies, backing shields, all the bolts and hardware and now I've got two upper control arms in the same solution after those parts. I basically spray parts with degreaser, take to carwash and power wash, then in the bucket they go.  Sit overnight, scrub with scratchpad, rinse, dry, put on protector then ready to store for future restoration steps.  It won't affect paint, but does cut grease and grime along with rust.  I did my whole rear end housing in a 42 gallon trash can and @ 4 cups of powder.  Came out amazing and didn't have to worry about chemical hazards of other products. 

Hope that somewhat helps.
Dan in Kansas
Thanks Dan. I have some 2 piece brake rotors I want to try it out on to de rust before trying to turn them..
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 11:35:30 AM »
Most of parts that I soak in evaporust will either get blasted and tumbled or be painted later.  Fasteners are soaked also, but those are usually going to be zinc plated or phosphated.  It's very rare to soak something in evaporust and use it as-is (with a protectant).  My main use is a time saver in the blasting process and to uncover paint marks/details that might not show up under general cleaning.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin