Author Topic: Front Coil Springs-Three Paint Stripes  (Read 3185 times)

Offline mechachy

Front Coil Springs-Three Paint Stripes
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »
I'm finally getting back in the game after shoulder surgery last December and trying to finish my front suspension.  In doing a search about paint markings on front coil springs, I came across this thread:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7515.msg43386#msg43386

In the thread, a member that was restoring his Cougar mentioned that a cleanup of his coil springs showed his had three stripes on them instead of two. Jeff Speegle said he hadn't seen this before.

In cleaning up the coil springs from my October, '69 Dearborn build of my '70 Boss 302, I found this on the right spring:

The markings aren't as clear on the left spring but they're there:

Here's the section from the build sheet:

Does GOGOV mean Gold, Gold, Violet as the paint markings would seem to indicate?  If so, do other build sheets for springs with just two stripes just show two paint codes?  Also, any idea what the "1" in box 23 means?

1970 Boss 302
Stolen and stripped in 1992.  On the road back.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Front Coil Springs-Three Paint Stripes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »
I'm finally getting back in the game after shoulder surgery last December and trying to finish my front suspension.  In doing a search about paint markings on front coil springs, I came across this thread:

In the thread, a member that was restoring his Cougar mentioned that a cleanup of his coil springs showed his had three stripes on them instead of two. Jeff Speegle said he hadn't seen this before.

Does GOGOV mean Gold, Gold, Violet as the paint markings would seem to indicate?

Yes - Sorry about the earlier post - was thinking earlier cars (was a 67 discussion)

Sorry for the delay - been gone for a week

If so, do other build sheets for springs with just two stripes just show two paint codes?

Basically yes. On others (like rear springs) they can list the color and number of those stripes - 2GN for example fro Two Green Stripes

Also, any idea what the "1" in box 23 means?

Have no explanation for the use of 1 in that box. Checked the copies I have and could only find it being done on 70 Boss 302 (both NJ and Dearborn) buildsheets
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:04:12 AM »
Also, any idea what the "1" in box 23 means?

Did the person entering the data for the build sheet substitute a "1" for an "I"? "V1" for "violet"?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
Did the person entering the data for the build sheet substitute a "1" for an "I"? "V1" for "violet"?

It was system wide (different plants even) so not IMHO something a single worker did or a mistake from the examples I have
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
It was system wide (different plants even) so not IMHO something a single worker did or a mistake from the examples I have
I was thinking more along the lines of a database entry from which the build sheet info was drawn. Were build sheets generated from a master engineering or production database?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:39:07 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of a database entry from which the build sheet info was drawn. Were build sheets generated from a master engineering or production database?

Now I understand the direction your coming from.

Not sure of the based source of the information contained (for parts identification) on the buildsheet. Some of the info would be from in plant sources
Jeff Speegle