Author Topic: Brake calpers and what to do...  (Read 2797 times)

Offline shelbyman

• OFO2G127576
Brake calpers and what to do...
« on: April 04, 2022, 04:49:02 PM »
I'm going to have to rebuild my front brake calipers and wanted to know a few things.  IF they are original, and I don't know this yet or know how to tell if they are....give me a heads up on that please.   If they are original I would think just having them rebuilt is the way to go.   IF they aren't original is there any reason to have mine rebuilt over buying some rebuilt ones from one the Mustang suppliers?   And who do you prefer to buy from for this type of part?   Thanks much for your advice.....   Sandy

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
Re: Brake calpers and what to do...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 05:44:56 PM »
It all depends on how original you want to keep it.  Date code exist on many parts and if original you want, get originals rebuilt. 

Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 06:09:10 PM »
Yes although small in size and hard to see the 68-70 single piston calipers have date codes metal stamped into them. I would check and compare closely on any that you get new from a vendor .Although I have never compared there is typically always some aspect that is different between a repro or newer replacement compared to original assemblyline.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline shelbyman

• OFO2G127576
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 07:26:46 PM »
Guys thanks for the feedback.  I think my plan would be to check closely on whats on there now and most likely have those calipers rebuilt regardless if they are Ford or some replacements.

Offline PDXBoss302

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 09:33:42 AM »
You can buy a rebuild kit and do them for cheap. I just finished the originals on my B2. You just need an air compressor to get the piston out and a brake caliper tool to collapse the piston.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 01:39:34 AM »
Rebuilding them is pretty easy as long as they are not locked up or too corroded.  Also need to be careful not to break off the brake bleeder screw when backing it out. 
Rebuild kits are still easy to get.  If you post pictures here we can tell you if its original or not. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Daven

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 01:03:13 AM »
I just got my original calipers apart.  I used a 66 brake hose, threaded into caliper.  I used an air hose but it still wouldn't budge even after soaking in lacquer thinner.  I had to use a large channel locks and twist back and forth on the piston before the air hose pushed the piston out.  Success!  Is the caliper bare metal and oil or phosphate and oil?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 01:18:28 AM »
I just got my original calipers apart.  I used a 66 brake hose, threaded into caliper.  I used an air hose but it still wouldn't budge even after soaking in lacquer thinner.  I had to use a large channel locks and twist back and forth on the piston before the air hose pushed the piston out.  Success!  Is the caliper bare metal and oil or phosphate and oil?
The calipers were bare cast iron however I have found that if I lightly zinc phosphate them by not cooking them too long it will not drastically change the look. That zinc phosphate process helps with rust . You need all the help you can get given calipers heat up and make any oil you put on them for rust prevention darken the metal because of the heat over time.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 01:24:45 AM »
I should add that I pat them dry with a towel first and then stick them in a oven for a bit to completely dry. If you try to blow then dry they will flash rust almost immediately . Any oil you put on them you run the risk of darkening the metal once they go through a few drastic heat cycles. Of course it takes a combination of normal and spirited driving to heat up calipers not driving like a show car ever sees.Or you can paint them with cast iron paint for a slightly less authetic look . 69/70 Shelby owners have it better because their calipers had the side that you saw through the spokes of the special Shelby wheel blacked out so rust would not be seen by new owners. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 01:28:58 AM by Bob Gaines »

Offline Daven

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 06:41:36 PM »
Thank you so much Bob!

I found out about the proper drying technique while redoing my rear leaf springs and they turned to solid rust after phospating them and not drying and oiling properly! 

I was surprised how nice the calipers looked after soaking them in Evaporust.  I just need a more even finish over the whole calipers before figuring out the proper shade.

Thanks again!

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 01:04:33 AM »
Please don't take this as gospel.  I was advised that painting calipers with John Deere graphite gives it the correct color and improved protection against rust.  I am in the middle of soaking my calipers in citric acid to derust.  I am going to paint them with cerakote, then final coat in John Deere graphite in hopes the cerakote permanently protects the metal and the graphite color looks like original steel.  Not sure how it will work out. 
Fingers crossed,
Dan in Kansas