Author Topic: Carb spacer & gaskets - 68 S code  (Read 7530 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: Carb spacer & gaskets - 68 S code
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »

Thanks Jeff! I think that solidifies it pretty well, at least for my Feb. S-code. For others, it would be interesting to pinpoint when (or if) the C8AZ-G was used on S-codes.

Posting the '75 MPC info for reference.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
I recently acquired this nice used spacer from JD Larson. One of the holy grails I have been seeking for nearly 30 years! I probably would have not found the correct one or even known what it looked like if it wasn't for all of you - thank you!

The spacer came with three thin washers looped around the tag wire. They appear to be remnants of the metal grommets used in the thick gasket that goes on top of the spacer (the grommets appear to be two-piece swaged assemblies). Can someone confirm this? I have not seen a washer like this used on the carb mounting nuts, or anywhere else for that matter.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 10:51:53 PM »
The spacer came with three thin washers looped around the tag wire. They appear to be remnants of the metal grommets used in the thick gasket that goes on top of the spacer (the grommets appear to be two-piece swaged assemblies). Can someone confirm this? I have not seen a washer like this used on the carb mounting nuts, or anywhere else for that matter.

If they went on the spacer you might get a nice vacuum leak. Haven't seen them before and would suggest at this point not using them.  Waiting to see what turns up (if ever) in the future
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 11:14:54 PM »
If they went on the spacer you might get a nice vacuum leak. Haven't seen them before and would suggest at this point not using them.  Waiting to see what turns up (if ever) in the future

I don't plan to use them, certainly not next to the spacer. I'm almost certain they are remnants of the grommets as I described, I just like to get confirmation on those sorts of things  ;)   They compare very closely to the grommets when I hold them side-by-side.

My guess is that the original grommets fell apart when the carb was removed from the donor engine, and whoever took it apart was being super-careful not to throw things away so they wired them to the spacer.
Dave Z.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 03:57:41 PM »
Found out that the stainless steel spacer plate was factory installed on the 1968 W code 427-4V GT-E Cougars. 

There is a thread on the Cougar forum, I think that it can be viewed without being a member.

https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4217&hilit=spacer+plate+gt+e
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 10:50:04 PM »
Finally picked up the original engine for my 1968 S code fastback (It was stored at a friends house where I bought the car 7-8 years ago). After cleaning off 47 years of crud and pulling off a lot of the peripheral parts to clean and store I discovered it still had one of these stainless spacers under the carb. The only difference between mine and the ones mentioned in the Cougar thread and here is mine doesn't have anything stamped in it (Rear, Up). Just FYI, car is a really original 1968 S code GT fastback that was last on the road in 1973. Really late build Metutchen car (mid July 68, don't have the exact date handy).

Does anyone have a copy of the TSB that mentions this as the link above seems dead.

Thank's in advance, John