Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Black Charcoal Dash paint  (Read 2325 times)

Offline bullitt68

Re: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Black Charcoal Dash paint
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 11:56:52 AM »
Pictures can sometimes be deceiving but if it looks as good in person as it does on my screen I think you have a good match there.

Agreed photos are always difficult to go by as there are so many factors. That is what I used sunlight for reference. I tried to anticipate the fade factor over 52 years as I am sure that the paint must have faded to some degree over time
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 01:58:27 PM »
Pictures can sometimes be deceiving -
I also agree -
Agreed photos are always difficult to go by as there are so many factors.
Time being the great "equalizer". Colors fade, rust invades, dirt clings. There are a few positives gathered from a picture of a 50 year, plus, old car, notably how erratically assembly line workers sprayed sealer in the engine compartment and undercarriage. It's difficult to determine factory finish tone or shade on what has been subjected to the elements. Remember, cars of that era were designed to have a ten year life span.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »
I also agree -Time being the great "equalizer". Colors fade, rust invades, dirt clings. There are a few positives gathered from a picture of a 50 year, plus, old car, notably how erratically assembly line workers sprayed sealer in the engine compartment and undercarriage. It's difficult to determine factory finish tone or shade on what has been subjected to the elements. Remember, cars of that era were designed to have a ten year life span.
Jim

Yes agreed Jim and a great tribute to the quality of the workmanship of the cars built in the '60's in the USA. All I can do is make my best judgement call at this time and use input from others with experience who have also had to do the same. Since there is no 100% way to match the assembly line correct paint, I would like to get close to what is being accepted and understood to be a reasonable facsimile/next best thing under the circumstances
Mike

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 04:15:24 PM »
- a great tribute to the quality of the workmanship of the cars built in the '60's in the USA.
Careful. Living in Silicon Valley for over (a long time) years, I've met a lot of former Ford Assembly Line Workers (one lives a couple of blocks away) at Mustang Club meetings and car shows. They revealed many attributes of living in the 60's and 70's here (some were hippies). There were way too many workers at the Milpitas plant that went to work "under the influence" (pick your favorite). To Ford's credit, those lasted only 90 days (union rules). A lot of cars got produced in 90 days. Some were good, others required "stitches". At the end of the assembly line, a lot of cars needed rework. That's a fact of life in the Bay Area.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 07:23:18 PM »
Yes agreed Jim and a great tribute to the quality of the workmanship of the cars built in the '60's in the USA.....

Also consider that allot of the workers were ex military and part of the "greatest generation". Many took allot of pride in their work while others might as well been building toasters. Like any worker force it was a mix but compared to today..... well we'll leave that to each of our own interpretation and get back to the thread focus :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »
Careful. Living in Silicon Valley for over (a long time) years, I've met a lot of former Ford Assembly Line Workers (one lives a couple of blocks away) at Mustang Club meetings and car shows. They revealed many attributes of living in the 60's and 70's here (some were hippies). There were way too many workers at the Milpitas plant that went to work "under the influence" (pick your favorite). To Ford's credit, those lasted only 90 days (union rules). A lot of cars got produced in 90 days. Some were good, others required "stitches". At the end of the assembly line, a lot of cars needed rework. That's a fact of life in the Bay Area.
Jim

I can only imagine. I have heard all kinds of crazy stories over the years like for example "a customer heard a rattling inside his door and when they pulled the door panel they found a beer bottle" etc. I am sure that the '60's were colourful times. That would also go a long way explaining inconsistencies between cars made at the same plants. Unfortunately my car was somewhat restored when I acquired it so I was not privy to any interesting anomaly's that might highlight the high times 50 years ago
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 07:40:28 PM »
Also consider that allot of the workers were ex military and part of the "greatest generation". Many took allot of pride in their work while others might as well been building toasters. Like any worker force it was a mix but compared to today..... well we'll leave that to each of our own interpretation and get back to the thread focus :)

Good point Jeff. For all we know some of these cars could end up lasting 100 years, and that would be a great tribute to the design and manufacturing of those cars, as well as the enthusiasts who helped preserve them, through their passion, which made them a part of our national heritage
Mike

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 12:08:50 PM »
While quality lapses might have been seen from time to time back then; our mission when restoring a car should be to try and match the best quality that the plant was capable of on a good day. Anything else is not productive use of your time.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »
While quality lapses might have been seen from time to time back then; our mission when restoring a car should be to try and match the best quality that the plant was capable of on a good day. Anything else is not productive use of your time.

Agreed. That is my plan 100%
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2020, 02:17:07 AM »
Interior paint update. I did another spray out which is a much better match imo. Original paint steering column parts for reference.

Photo 1 (Outside light. Left new spray out, middle first spray out, right rattle can)
Photo 2 (Inside light. Left first spray out, middle Rattle can, right new spray out)
Photo 3 (Outside light. new spray out)
Photo 4 (Inside light. new spray out)
Photo 5 (Inside light. Left first spray out, middle Rattle can, right new spray out)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:38:21 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike