Author Topic: Wire harness question  (Read 1960 times)

Offline cob428

Wire harness question
« on: July 26, 2018, 09:54:38 AM »
Was this a common practice with Shelby? I know the turn signal switch has been replaced however it appears that the main harness has a jumper harness from the dash( see picture) and then the harness wasn't ran through the connecter. Was this a "Shelby" change for the sequential turn signals and additional flasher?
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Wire harness question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »
I've never seen anything like that.  Usually, that connector is used for the turn signals.  Furthermore, it looks like a combination of ignition and dash cluster wiring.  Probably a PO fix, but I hope I am not wrong.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
Was this a common practice with Shelby? I know the turn signal switch has been replaced however it appears that the main harness has a jumper harness from the dash( see picture) and then the harness wasn't ran through the connecter. Was this a "Shelby" change for the sequential turn signals and additional flasher?
I'll bet someone "repaired" a turn signal problem - twice.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »
I've never seen anything like that.  Usually, that connector is used for the turn signals.  Furthermore, it looks like a combination of ignition and dash cluster wiring.  Probably a PO fix, but I hope I am not wrong.
+1 . Besides the materials used that repair is not anything that AO Smith (contracted to build the 69 Shelby's) did when they did the Shelby conversion. More then just probable a PO fix IMHO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cob428

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »
Ok more questions on the t/s did the Shelby use a cougar harness of some type. I feel fairly competent but trying to figure this turn signal switch harness is going to drive me to drink.
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »
Ok more questions on the t/s did the Shelby use a cougar harness of some type. I feel fairly competent but trying to figure this turn signal switch harness is going to drive me to drink.
No.

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
There is an intermediate Shelby harness that plugs into the main Mustang underdash harness, and feeds the rear tail light harness, among other things.  Maybe what you have is some sort of a remnant of that.  The last 69 Shelby underdash I saw was in 2012. 

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 05:35:53 PM »
I can take better photos if needed, but here is what I had when I took mine apart back in the late 80's/early 90's. You can barely see the short adapter between the steering column harness before it plugs into the main harness. Click on the small images to go to my photo gallery. I have purchased many repros of the smaller harnesses to put mine back together. My Shelby AMP wire harness burned when under hood harness fell on the choke heat tube and shorted on it. I had to cut up the harness and replace wires w/o using the factory plugs. Keep this in mind if you continue to look at other wirings in my gallery. Again, this is one of the harnesses that has been replaced to put the car back together.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 11:15:45 PM »
There is an intermediate Shelby harness that plugs into the main Mustang underdash harness, and feeds the rear tail light harness, among other things.  Maybe what you have is some sort of a remnant of that.  The last 69 Shelby underdash I saw was in 2012.
That harness has been reproduced. Check with Coralsnake on this forum he sells them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »
I do. The Shelby uses an intermediate underdash harness (just like stated above). It is Shelby unique and plugs into the column wiring and the main underdash. The blue wire looks like a repair.

Offline cob428

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »
Ok Coral how do Inget a hold of you to purchase one? I determined the blue was a repair the original was melted into the adapter.
Thanks, Pete
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 06:26:12 PM »