1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1970 Mustang

1970 Boss Undercarriage

(1/3) > >>

buckeyeresto:
Hello, In the shop I have a 1970 Dearborn Boss 302 Build Date 9/25/1969.  Unfortunatley I don't have pictures as the owner had the car media blasted before it came to the shop to properly document the underside.  According to the owner he said the original color underside is mostly black, with a little dark green metalic.  My question is if its this way any pictures would be great help.  would the aframes be red primer or slope grey?  were does the sound deadner go in the tunnel and wheel wells etc.  any help would be great
thanks a bunch

nate

J_Speegle:
Very dark gray with a slight green tint would be a possibility from the ones I have samples of

Email me directly and I'll see what my collection has to offer

buckeyeresto:
Jeff,

whats your email?  mine is nate@buckeyeresto.com

thanks

nate

J_Speegle:
If you click on my name above (or to the left in this post) it appears ;)

J_Speegle:
The vast majority of 70's from that period I've seen were very much like the typical 69 Dearborn Mustangs and Cougars.  Much like the pictures I posted of the 69 Shelby I'm working shown elsewhere here

1- Floor pans a variation of the batch color - Medium to dark gray with a tint towards blue or green.

Here are some 69 Dearborn pictures showing some of the vatiations

70 Dearborn with a very green tint

2- Frame rails (front ones) and inner fender panels from about where the firewall is - forwards red oxide epoxy primer. NOTE - I do have pictures of one 70 Dearborn car sprayed with batch color from the firewall forward. (in the 117xxx range) but believe currently that this may just be an oddity and not typical

3- Rocker seam. seat belt anchors and quarter drops sealant applied after floor paint applied

4- Front wheelwells  (wheel side)- Body color at the rear, red oxide  (no body color or black) towards the middle (shock tower area), a little or allot of overspray from painting the inner aprons fender lip and the radiator support front face. This can extend rearward for a foot or so in some examples. Something like this (likely scrubbed some overspray off when I cleaned it). Sound deadener over some of the details

5 - Rear wheel wells are typical at all plants. Sound deadener before exterior body color. Covers approx 80% + of the wheel well surface with over spray (matching the spray pattern found on the wheel well) on rear frame rails (forward and rearward of the rear axle bumper mount), sometimes near rear outer seat belt anchor

Body color over most of this normally extending beyond the sound deadener overspray. We should not see ANY sound deadener over body color or pinch weld/wheel well paint.

6- Don't typically see sound deadener in the tunnel but from time to time you will find seam sealer at the floor to firewall seam above the front of the trans. Believe this was applied when the seam gap was too large to fill the void.

If the car was a Mach I then we have many more sound deadener patterns

7- Front wheel well sound deadener (like every year) was applied after the car was assembled (short of front wheels and tires)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version