Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

AC Compressor PN?s

(1/2) > >>

pepperglenn:
Were the compressors the same between all the engines? 390 vs 289 vs 200? I know of the Tecumseh (iron) vs York (aluminum).

Does anyone have a list of compressor Pn?s per application? Tried looking in mycopy of the MPC but only saw AC kits listed

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: pepperglenn on March 11, 2024, 11:38:22 PM ---Were the compressors the same between all the engines? 390 vs 289 vs 200? I know of the Tecumseh (iron) vs York (aluminum).

Does anyone have a list of compressor Pn?s per application? Tried looking in mycopy of the MPC but only saw AC kits listed

--- End quote ---
It was more a plant supplier thing for a given year and plant vs. a certain engine displacement. For example a Dearborn built 69 Mustang would most typically have a cast iron Tecumseh compressor regardless of if 351 or 428 . 68 Metuchen Mustangs most typically had the York regardless of engine.

67gta289:
+1 adding to what Bob stated, the compressor proper was adapted to different engines and vehicles by means of various brackets and clutch/pulley assemblies.  The brackets are very specific, and in some cases changed during the model year - I'm thinking the 1967 289 applications in particular, to resolve a belt slap issue.

The basic part number is 19703.  From 1960-1968 there were only 6 different compressors used, across the whole Ford car lineup.  I did not check but would expect Mercury to use the same parts.

pepperglenn:
Great info, thank you! I suggested the compressors were mostly the same but with different brackets and pulleys and such... i know ive seen a two belt and a single belt pulley before.

Any idea what type of compressor was typical for a San Jose built 390 car in April of 67?

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: pepperglenn on March 12, 2024, 03:08:38 PM ---Great info, thank you! I suggested the compressors were mostly the same but with different brackets and pulleys and such... i know ive seen a two belt and a single belt pulley before.

Any idea what type of compressor was typical for a San Jose built 390 car in April of 67?

--- End quote ---
York.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version