Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Verifying a true NOS steering wheel

(1/2) > >>

Hipo giddyup:
Just as the subject states, how can you validate a true NOS Ford steering wheel? The years in question would be earlier steering wheels such as 65,66, 67. Is there any tell tale signs? I do not see any stampings or codes in the metal or plastic mold.

thanks!

jwc66k:
Depending on the year of manufacture, just about all original or sanctioned Ford parts have a Ford, FOMOCO, Autolite or other logo as a trademark. In many instances, a Ford casting number is present. There is no single absolute version.
Jim

Hipo giddyup:
Understood Jim, its the same - scratch your head- as say the grill molding for 65-66-67, turn signal lever, and other certain parts that really don't seem to have a Ford identifier on them. Maybe lucky if you find a small sticker/labeled when opening an unopened Ford NOS box on those! But with the steering wheel that I have, nothing identifiable, yet feels heavier and "thicker" than the repro wheel I have currently. It came in the NOS box, but of course easy to swap out the part for those unscrupulous sellers. It does not have any marking designating Ford, perhaps someone here can point me to where that might be??

CharlesTurner:
I haven't found any Ford markings on steering wheels.  Original wheels feel 'right' around the rim and don't have sharp edges.  The zinc plating on the horn contacts of the repro is usually the blue tint, originals are more dull silver.  There may be other differences in the mold cavities, like the small hole locations on the rear of the grip area of the wheel.  I'm sure a known original placed next to repro, there will be some noticeable differences.  Has there ever been a repro part that was indistinguishable from an original?  :-)

Hipo giddyup:
Thanks for the info Charles. I will post a few comparison pics between my NOS wheel and a recent repro. Unfortunately I don't have a factory wheel to use for comparison, relying the NOS will be close to factory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version