Author Topic: 1970 Dearborn Inspection Stickers  (Read 1172 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

1970 Dearborn Inspection Stickers
« on: December 14, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »
Is the a document I can access that defines where all the stickers inspection and other go in the engine bay and other locations on a Dearborn built 1970 Mach 1, and is there any sequence as to how they are applied say before certain parts are installed and a then after completion for inspection stickers. I would like to replicate the install location of the stickers as much as possible.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:13:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Dearborn Engine Bay and Other Stickers
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 08:40:55 PM »
There is a prior thread related to early 70 Dearborn built cars and the engine compartment decals. So that appears to be a match for your car and a good place to start.

I used the words "engine compartment decals stickers 70 dearborn "

If your looking for the inspector stickers those are a bit more difficult since those (like the battery inspector one) were not clear coated or meant to last past the end of the production line. but we can see what we have learned/found since 2015. When the last thread was written
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I do know where some go and will take a look where you have indicated. Surprisingly my disassembly pictures reveal remanence of the original adhesive from the battery stick on my car, so I know exactly where it goes. I will probably have more questions regarding this topic as I have noticed a number of pictures with an inspection sticker in the area of where the delay wiper module gets mounted on the firewall and mine has delay wipers so would that inspection sticker be placed somewhere else?

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 10:52:26 PM »
So I check the archive and for the most part not a lot of help as I could not see the photos, or the detail of the inspection sticker was not visible.
Question: why is there a P inspection stick on the DS door jam near the interior light switch??
I would also like details on the trunk stickers for my car, jack and tie-downs no brainer, but others on lid etc are ??

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18:01 PM »
70 examples are more difficult to find than 69 Dearborn or at least for me over the decades

.................... I have noticed a number of pictures with an inspection sticker in the area of where the delay wiper module gets mounted on the firewall and mine has delay wipers so would that inspection sticker be placed somewhere else?

It appears, like other markings done at the plant, that each worker had his favorite location to typically apply these stickers. May be due to their age, height, effort and if they were right or left handed so I believe if we had enough legible ones we could identify these patterns as we have at other plants with other paint markings. 

To you question there are examples where the inspector applied none between the wiper loom exit through the front of the cowl and the outer, drivers side bend at the top fifty percent of the panel and applied one or two stickers on that section outward of that bend instead.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:30:19 PM »
Are there pictures of the examples you describe in the archive as I am not really finding those??
Any idea why the P inspection sticker would be on the DS door post in the area of the interior light switch ??

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 02:27:54 PM »
Are there pictures of the examples you describe in the archive as I am not really finding those??

No those are in my archives and have not been posted to the site since this subject has not been discussed here before that I can recall. We have discussed 69's a little but since the stickers didn't hold up well we often have location but not what the markings (letter or combination of letter and number) were.

Any idea why the P inspection sticker would be on the DS door post in the area of the interior light switch ??

We don't always know why workers did things a certain way and we've not been able to locate allot of the original workers to ask them  This leaves us only with the original findings which IMHO, with enough of them, justification to base some choices for or restorations with some certainty. In other examples without many or a single finding less certainty.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
Thanks Jeff that makes sense. I am guessing the Osborne sticker collections for the various cars and years come with a mapping diagram from what I hear anyway. I already have all the stickers from either ECS, NPD or DNO, now need to see if someone can send or post that map so I can somewhat logically mount them on my car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Dearborn Inspection Stickers
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 06:36:22 PM »
Thanks Jeff that makes sense. I am guessing the Osborne sticker collections for the various cars and years come with a mapping diagram from what I hear anyway. I already have all the stickers from either ECS, NPD or DNO, now need to see if someone can send or post that map so I can somewhat logically mount them on my car.

We've discussed the issues with purchasing a decal "KIT" from any of the vendors and I suggest purchasing specific decals based on your specific needs and the quality of the decals. You don't want the inspector stickers with the rounded corners and none will include the punched out identification or the printed. (different methods were used during different years/ time periods. ALso if you car was a later car then we would be discussing the replacement of some of the stickers with stamped inspection markings but as stated that was later in 70.

Will post up a tool soon to see if we can collect input from some of the members here and I'll see what I can post that will be helpful. Will try and arrange it so that others can build to it as time goes along
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:13:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 07:05:08 PM »
That sound great, look forward to seeing a tool that will help all.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:13:47 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »
Lucky me - I didn't have to start from square 1 this time - though I had looked into this before for one of builders/shops, so it helps out here. Appears that the document was then altered with the intent to add it as an article to the Library just had not reached the point were it was ready to place there yet. The following graphics only represent the findings I found and should not be seen to suggest that all locations and stickers were used/applied on all cars built at Dearborn during 1970 production, though some may have been.  It is part of an ongoing effort to collect and better understand the practices. Hope it helps others.

For others viewing this that own cars with stickers that are still legible please add to my list of findings with the location number, the letter (letter and color of letter) and your vin, shortened vin or the build date of your example.

Had to convert these back from a pdf format Hope their easy to read our will have to redo them

Did adjust the title to better reflect the direction and focus of the thread ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:42:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle