Author Topic: Original 65-66 HP chrome valve covers or wrong gaskets?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline 21.04

Original 65-66 HP chrome valve covers or wrong gaskets?
« on: November 10, 2023, 04:56:58 PM »
I have two pairs of HP chrome valve covers.  I bought a prepro cork gasket kit with black rubber from NPD to use for one of the pairs.  I did a quick visual to see how well the  NPD gasket lined up with the valve covers and just noticed that the outside tabs are different on my two examples.  Is this typical of OEM 65-66 HP valve covers?  Was there a common tab location on all OEM HP chrome covers or was there a variation?  I've attached a photo of the same side valve cover facing each other to show the difference in tan location.  Again, the outside tabs are the only two that are different.  Obviously, the new gasket kit from NPD only fits the tabs properly on one set of valve covers I have.  Also noticed one pair of valve covers have 5 17 stamped on an each piece on the inside, whereas the other pair has no stampings.  Do these covers appear to be OEM or do I need another type gasket for the different tabs or need to cut the tabs and re-glue them in the needed positions?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 05:01:28 PM by 21.04 »
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Original 65-66 HP chrome valve covers or wrong gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 08:41:30 PM »
I have two pairs of HP chrome valve covers.  I bought a prepro cork gasket kit with black rubber from NPD to use for one of the pairs.  I did a quick visual to see how well the  NPD gasket lined up with the valve covers and just noticed that the outside tabs are different on my two examples.  Is this typical of OEM 65-66 HP valve covers?  Was there a common tab location on all OEM HP chrome covers or was there a variation?  I've attached a photo of the same side valve cover facing each other to show the difference in tan location.  Again, the outside tabs are the only two that are different.  Obviously, the new gasket kit from NPD only fits the tabs properly on one set of valve covers I have.  Also noticed one pair of valve covers have 5 17 stamped on an each piece on the inside, whereas the other pair has no stampings.  Do these covers appear to be OEM or do I need another type gasket for the different tabs or need to cut the tabs and re-glue them in the needed positions?
It is common for modern valve cover gasket sets with tabs to not line up with the 60's type valve cover. Many of us have side stepped that problem to get that vintage look by cutting the tabs off that are in the wrong place and gluing them on so that they protrude through the notch visually like they are supposed too. Sometimes you have to use a donor set of gaskets to get tabs from. Of course the tabs are only there to locate the gasket in the right place for installation once the gasket is secured in place the relocating of the tab does not effect the integrity of the gasket .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 21.04

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 09:27:42 PM »
Thanks for giving direction on the repro gaskets.

Offline 21.04

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 09:28:31 PM »
Are there known variations in the slot locations on OEM 65-66 HP 289 chrome covers?  I found an early NOS cork gasket  in my collection with black rubberized coating with part number C6OZ-6584-A that should be the correct gasket for the '66 HP 289 chrome valve covers.  Unlike the NPD reproduction version, it has no outside tabs.  Are there variations of these early Ford replacement gaskets or was this part number an assembly line version made to accommodate variations in different valve cover outer slot locations?  Photo attached of the early C6OE-6584-A Ford replacement gasket. I have not inspected or compared any other original HP 289 chrome covers or gaskets to know what variations there were, if any.  Perhaps there is someone who knows?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 12:07:03 AM »
The rubber gasket is a later replacement and not assembly line correct for at least 65-68 (and probably a bit later).

There was a standard valve cover change in '66 that added notches to the bottom edge to allow clearance for emission tubes.  In the picture above, the notches can be seen.  So, what you're dealing with is an early/late valve cover design, which has corresponding gasket types.  I would say that your very late '66 had the notched valve covers.  The Mannel book may go into more detail.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 21.04

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 03:28:59 AM »
Very helpful resource Charles.  I can see the illustration of the notches on the 66 and later style covers you've  referred to in Bob Mannel's book.  My reference photo has two pass side covers.  From the photo of the undersides it can be seen one is notched and the other is not.  I know what I have and what I want to use now, thank you.

The gaskets in the reference photo are cork with black neoprene coating.  I found an archived post from Scott302 who did some research and obtained Ford blueprints on the gaskets.  He's indicated the gaskets should be cork and neoprene coated and, "C6OE-6584-A was the relocation of the lower locating tabs to fit the 1966 style valve covers."  Thought I might be on the right track with what I had but maybe not.  Is this change in the 66 gasket result in no tabs on the side that is notched to accommodate the tab location change from 65 to 66?  Or did the original style gasket used in 66 also have tabs on the notched side of the covers?  Just trying to learn what style gaskets I should be looking for, if I don't have them.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 12:39:26 PM »
There was a change for the different location to the tabs for the gaskets, but it was the same type as the earlier gaskets, rubberized cork.  The ones with the big round tabs are later service replacements.  A little surprised to see those in the old FoMoCo packaging... maybe someone swapped them out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 21.04

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 04:00:26 PM »
Thanks for the additional info!  I appreciate it.

Offline DOZZ-1

• 69-428 SCJ
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 03:07:13 PM »
I am the seller of the gasket kit and gaskets shown in 21.04 pictures. I have just found another set of cork/rubber gaskets with tabs on both sides of the gasket. BOTH kits were/are in the same old C6OZ-6584-A Fomoco package shown in 21.04 pictures. I personally bought and removed all the obsolete parts in a Mass Ford dealer in the late 80s and none were or have been "swapped" into other packaging. I was looking for intake manifold gaskets for my 428 in a box with dozens of Ford gasket kits complete and incomplete which I hadn't touched in 30+ years, knew I had recently sold a C6OZ set, and pulled this recent kit out which has tabs on both sides.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 05:18:26 PM »
Fortunately for those not able to find old vintage original valve cover gaskets, the original look of the tabs can be effectively added to modern cork valve gaskets along with the blackened top and bottom.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Scott302

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 12:44:04 PM »
There are 3 major 289 steel valve cover styles in 65-66.  The first 2 are known as the round style and the last is the square style. The square style was introduced around May 66.  The valve cover lower (exhaust) side was taller making the profile of the cover more "square" looking.  The two earlier styles had the same rounded profile but the lower valve cover gasket locating tab positions were different.  The 65 cover had 8.78" on center between the tabs and the 66 (both round and square styles) were 6.58" on center.  The 66's also had an extra notch next to the lower tab cutouts for clearance of the air log fittings and the reason for the revised locating tab position.  So in your photo 6449 the lower cover is 65 and upper cover is a 66. 

The valve cover gaskets also had to change to accommodate the different locations of the locating tabs.  The C2OZ gasket was used through 65 and the new C6OZ gasket was used from 66 on.  On 2/25/69 a revised gasket with no lower locating tabs was also approved for production.  The 2/15/69 date is the date the blueprint change was signed off on approving the new design.  I have the blueprints for these gaskets.  Most aftermarket gasket manufacturers make the later style gaskets either with the narrow lower locating tab position or no lower tabs. 

I have made stamping dies for both styles of gaskets (C2OZ and C6OZ) and I am waiting on the cork material to run these.  They are correct to the Ford blueprints including the shape of the tabs which drove the die maker nuts.

As a side note, Ford valve cover gaskets for 170-200, 260-351W and 352-428 all have notes that the cork material be coated with a black neoprene coating .001-.005" thick.  The 352-428 gaskets also had a silver coating on top of the black neoprene.  I have located a black coating that appears to work very well.  The trouble is that the 16 oz bottle is around $70-$80!  I am looking into separating this into 1 oz. bottles which is more than enough for a pair of gaskets.

Regards,
Scott
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 12:47:25 PM by Scott302 »
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2024, 01:48:24 PM »
 I very much appreciate Scotts effort to make repro parts better but wonder in this case if he is making things harder then they need to be . The proper tabs in proper locations on cork gaskets is the most important thing IMO. Given only a few if any modern enthusiasts put on the gaskets dry without a additional adhesive/sealer I am not sure a black neoprene specific material is needed other then something that looks the part (black) for exposed areas on the small block gaskets. Certainly not the FE gaskets that have silver over the neoprene. I tell people to spray the otherwise plain cork FE gaskets with aluminum paint before sealing . Of course in the interest of historical look I caution people to not use too much sealer and to remove any that squeezes out and visible .You can take a pick tool,solvent ,rag etc. to remove excess before it sets up.Just some of my thoughts . Go Scott. :D

Offline Scott302

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 02:58:29 PM »
I'm not going to paint them. Only considering to make the black urethane product available in a 1 oz container.
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 04:31:37 PM »
Thanks Scott for sharing your findings and what your attempting do do behind the scenes  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)