Author Topic: Differential ID for 390 4 speed Car  (Read 316 times)

Offline pepperglenn

Differential ID for 390 4 speed Car
« on: January 08, 2024, 11:15:34 AM »
Hello,

Im trying to find the correct differential ID for my 67 390, GT, 4 speed car. I know it came with a 3.00 open rear. I currently don't have any rear end for it at all so once I figure out what it should have under it, i need to go find it.

Does anyone know exactly when the filler plug location moved?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 05:55:06 PM by pepperglenn »
67 Mustang Coupe- 390, GT, 4 speed, Dusk Rose,
66 Mustang Conv- 289 4bbl, GT, 4 speed, Nightmist Blue,
66 Mustang Coupe- 289 2bbl, Auto, AC, PS, Pony Interior, 8 track, Vinyl Hardtop, Special Order Paint- Dark Metallic Green
66 Mustang Coupe- 200, 3 speed, PS, Silver Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Differential ID for 390 4 speed Car
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 06:55:50 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to find the correct differential ID for my 67 390, GT, 4 speed car. I know it came with a 3.00 open rear. I currently don't have any rear end for it at all so once I figure out what it should have under it, i need to go find it.

Sure you already know that your looking for a (" ford for a 67 with a single vent/brake junction hole. Are you looking for the third member, axle code, and those details?

Handy book shows an axle code of 1 should show up on your door tag

Looking at another 67 390 (Auto and AC) with a 1 on the door tag we see that the build sheet shows the code 7996A for the rearend. 3.00 for a 4 speed is an interesting choice but have a fair number of auto and 4 speed with 3.00 open rearends. Could not quickly find a picture of a axle metal tag for the third member for your application in my pictures

Does anyone know exactly when the filler plug location moved?

No and it likely varied depending on the plant. Appears that there was a fair amount of mixing of stock on the detail/change. Had little to do with the added fill in the 3rd member casae other than a couple rearend as shipped from Sterling had to have one or the other or both. If you provide when and where your car was completed we can at least look to see what other cars around the same time were originally equipped with.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline pepperglenn

Re: Differential ID for 390 4 speed Car
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 11:30:12 PM »
Sure you already know that your looking for a (" ford for a 67 with a single vent/brake junction hole. Are you looking for the third member, axle code, and those details?

Yes, i was hoping to find a whole axle assy but might have to piece one together. Any idea what the correct tag code for this application would be?

If you provide when and where your car was completed we can at least look to see what other cars around the same time were originally equipped with.

San Jose Car. Build April 18th, 1967.
67 Mustang Coupe- 390, GT, 4 speed, Dusk Rose,
66 Mustang Conv- 289 4bbl, GT, 4 speed, Nightmist Blue,
66 Mustang Coupe- 289 2bbl, Auto, AC, PS, Pony Interior, 8 track, Vinyl Hardtop, Special Order Paint- Dark Metallic Green
66 Mustang Coupe- 200, 3 speed, PS, Silver Blue