Author Topic: Space Saver Spare  (Read 2046 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Space Saver Spare
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:18:17 AM »
Can someone advise if the 1970 Mach 1 could be ordered with a Space Saver Spare Tire or were they only available on the Boss and Shelby cars??
Was the SSST always mounted using the Space Saver Spare Air Bottle Bracket which is in addition to the standard bracket or where they also tied down with the standard full size wheel bracket?
When was the SSST tie down bracket installed on the assembly line, it looks like before body paint.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline 70cj428

Re: Space Saver Spare
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 10:57:52 AM »
Space saver was available as an option on regular Mach1's also (actually any Mustang except 200 ci 6 equipped cars) , It was a $7.00 option on a Mach1. Only 1155 non Boss mustangs were built with them, It's the rarest US option listed in Marti's book. The tire is mounted just like the Bosses with the bottle bracket. Not a big fan of them, but my green Q code turd was built with a space saver. The installation of the bottle bracket is a sloppy mess, kinda typical of Metuchen QC Actually, if I didn't have the Marti, I would have bet is was added later...  I'll try and get some Pics later.  Figuring out the correct tire took some sleuthing also if your looking for one...

Hope this helps, John

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 11:03:37 AM »
Just noticed how early your car is in your signature line, it's also got two pretty rare options, intermittent wipers and front bumper guards. Both my R code and Q code cars are early, 9/11/69 and 9/30/69. Is your car an AC car ?

John

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 12:01:31 PM »
Can someone advise if the 1970 Mach 1 could be ordered with a Space Saver Spare Tire or were they only available on the Boss and Shelby cars??
Was the SSST always mounted using the Space Saver Spare Air Bottle Bracket which is in addition to the standard bracket or where they also tied down with the standard full size wheel bracket?
When was the SSST tie down bracket installed on the assembly line, it looks like before body paint.
Early 69 Shelby's did not have a SSST bracket but they all came with SSST's. The bottle was stuffed under or around the tire. It was loose . Not cool.   I suspect the same for regular Mustang if ordered in the same time period . By the time the Boss cars started to be produced it was standard practice to have the special bracket installed. The SSST bracket was installed typically before paint.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »
John, my car is not an AC car it was delivered to B6 Western Canada Ordering District, so was not a popular option here. It is an original Calgary car and I am the third own for over 30 years. I have all the build sheets, and Marti Report and Ford Letter. I bought and have had the SS spare tire, rear louvers and spoiler for about as long as I have had the car and purchased them in a small town near here at that time. Although the car did not come with this option I was wanting to add it but until lately did not realize a different tie down bracket was used to hold it in place, and my body and paint work is all completed so it is almost becoming a mute point.
Why are you so against this option??

Bob thanks for the update as well, all good information.

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 02:47:50 PM »
Actually, If you never expect to use the space saver as a spare it's a kinda cool option, but they never seem to deflate back to where they should be once they are inflated and they can be a real bitch to remove and remount on a rim. that and the whole cannister deal … My q code had the tire in the trunk but without a rim and getting it remounted and the bead seated was a real bear and the tire still wouldn't collapse all the way. (I even tried a vaccum pump) I found and bought (for when I restore the car) what i'm 99% sure is the correct tire and rim for a 70 that was never inflated or mounted and looks great but it set me back about $800.00. 

Do you have the front bumper guards for your car ? they can be really tough to find..  Sounds like a great car. I have an M code that's calypso coral / ginger and it's a great color.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 03:02:30 PM »
I have been collecting parts for my car since I bought it in 1989, the car was already missing the front bumper guards at that time and I knew they where rare, even finding a picture with a 69 or 70 with them on is difficult. But all my documentation indicated that it came with front bumper guards, so over the years I have managed to collect 3 NOS sets and 2 very good condition used. So yes I have front bumper guards.

I don't know what the correct SSST is for my 1970 do you have any pics, and yes I believe it does have a cool factor, I never intend on inflating the tire and do have a full canister in very good condition but need to remove some sticker glue (how I have no idea without damaging the original red paint) as I believe it had a Chrysler sticker all the way up before.

Added pics of my SSST, I will probably glass bead and repaint it, but it has never been mounted as there are no marks on the bolt holes, and the tread is prefect.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:21:19 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 04:24:17 PM »
Sounds like a great car. I have an M code that's calypso coral / ginger and it's a great color.

No 70 machs came from the factory in that combination according to Marti. It would have made a nice member of Kevin's hypothetical Odd Paint/Trim Registry!
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 11:39:01 PM »
"Sounds like a great car. I have an M code that's calypso coral / ginger and it's a great color."

Wasn't built by Ford that way, was originally Medium gold metallic (S) with a ginger interior, but after a minor fender bender when the car was about 6 months old the original owner had it painted Calypso Coral as he really didn't like the Med Gold. Interesting car as the dealer added 15" Boss 302 tires and wheels to get him to buy the car new. I bought it off the original owner in 1986 and have the original bill of sale with the wheels listed. Kinda a goofy car, it was a "Basic Off Standard" order, M code, Shaker, Auto, AC, PS and drum brakes …..

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 12:54:10 AM »
...Was the SSST always mounted using the Space Saver Spare Air Bottle Bracket which is in addition to the standard bracket or where they also tied down with the standard full size wheel bracket?

By the time your car was built the brackets were available and would have been use if ordered with one IMHO

They were attached and sealed before exterior paint application
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 01:06:35 AM »
Okay, so what you are saying is that before the SSST brackets where available the SSS tire was tied down with the regular tie down bracket and the bottle was loose??
Can you advise when they started installing the SSST bracket, I am assuming on the 1969 models?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »
Okay, so what you are saying is that before the SSST brackets where available the SSS tire was tied down with the regular tie down bracket and the bottle was loose??
Can you advise when they started installing the SSST bracket, I am assuming on the 1969 models?
Yes , before the SSST brackets where available the SSS tire was tied down with the regular tie down bracket and the bottle was loose as I explained in my first post reply # 3. For the 69 model year the bottle brackets came available to install on the Ford line aproximatly the latter half of March - begining half of April 69. Coincidently or not it may have coincided with the Boss cars production start. Your car is late enough that it would be very out of the ordinary for it NOT to have the bottle bracket.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 01:07:28 PM »
Much appreciated Bob thanks for the details good to know. My car did not come with the SSST option but I like the cool factor and have a bottle and tire, but did not realize the SSST bracket was part of the install and completed the body and paint without the bracket, no sure the repop was even available then. So now I am not quite sure if I will be able to install without major work and cost involved to install it correctly, or just use the std tie down like early 69, or I pre-paint it and large pop rivet and JB Weld it down inside the frame rail area, chalk it and touchup paint that assuming the trunk mat and the SSST hide all that anyway.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 08:15:54 PM »
Some examples of space saver brackets and finishes. Sealant depended on the worker. Appears at least one of the guys was not doing his job 100%

Both from the general production period
0F1516xx - 0F1573xx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 09:13:34 PM »
Thanks Jeff, yup no sealant on both brackets on first picture, must have been a Monday.