Author Topic: 67 Shelby - Ground Wire? to trunk lid  (Read 3826 times)

Offline supersnake

67 Shelby - Ground Wire? to trunk lid
« on: September 12, 2015, 03:04:04 AM »
I have a loose wire in the trunk which looks like a ground wire.  In the Shelby Master Assembly Manual Rear Deck installation page it looks like there is a wire going up to this trunk lid.  Is this where the wire goes?  If so, what purpose is it serving going there?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Shelby - Ground Wire? to trunk lid
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »
What is the color of the wire (marking) and if it still has a plug which one?

Guessing this is hanging down on the drivers side of the trunk over the rears edge (or pretty near) of the wheel house/wheel well?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline supersnake

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:40:46 AM »
Finally took some pictures of the wire.  Note that the wire is black with a bullet end.  Let me know what this wire is?  Thanks.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:58:03 AM »
Finally took some pictures of the wire.  Note that the wire is black with a bullet end.  Let me know what this wire is?  Thanks.
It looks like the trunk lid light power wire. It is used on most early steel innerstructure trunklids.  Of course a all fiberglass trunk lid doesn't use it and it just lays on the wheel house unused.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline supersnake

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »
Thanks.  I was thinking it to be that wire.   Does anyone have any explanation for the wire that is seen in the Shelby Master Assembly Manual>Rear Deck Page that goes up to the rear deck?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 07:41:01 PM »
Thanks.  I was thinking it to be that wire.   Does anyone have any explanation for the wire that is seen in the Shelby Master Assembly Manual>Rear Deck Page that goes up to the rear deck?
For which year? I don't recall seeing unexplained wire for 67. 68 has a ground wire.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline supersnake

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 02:29:30 AM »
See attached photo from the assembly manual.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
See attached photo from the assembly manual.
That is for early steel innerstructure trunklids and the wire is the power wire as posted before . A steel inner structure lid uses chassis negative metal ground so no extra ground wire is needed. As posted before the trunk light is not used on the later all fiberglass trunklids because there is no ground and no provision for the light in the later style lid. The unused wire is loosely stuffed above the driver side wheel house. The outline of the innerstructure and the torsion bar middle bracket identify it as the early style in the illustration.

Offline supersnake

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the detailed post and all of your help.  I wasn't aware of early cars having the steer innerstructure trunklids.  I still have a lot to learn....

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
By the way, despite it being unusual I have a trunk lamp with an all glass decklid. There is a ground wire soldered to the lamp housing in the lid that is grounded to the LH decklid hinge. I also have an engine compartment lamp, which the wire is ran through the structure of the hood and uses two Ford grommets where they exit the structure. This one also works and looks factory.
I can confirm for fact that the lead you posted a picture of is indeed the power lead that was ran with the tail lamp harness to the trunk.
The wire has a wound covering on it, very similar to the tail lamp harness, but is not ran in the harness, it is taped to the harness with cloth tape at about 16" intervals.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »
By the way, despite it being unusual I have a trunk lamp with an all glass decklid. There is a ground wire soldered to the lamp housing in the lid that is grounded to the LH decklid hinge. I also have an engine compartment lamp, which the wire is ran through the structure of the hood and uses two Ford grommets where they exit the structure. This one also works and looks factory.
I can confirm for fact that the lead you posted a picture of is indeed the power lead that was ran with the tail lamp harness to the trunk.
The wire has a wound covering on it, very similar to the tail lamp harness, but is not ran in the harness, it is taped to the harness with cloth tape at about 16" intervals.
So no one gets the wrong idea the items you discribe for you all Fiberglass hood are not factory from SA. They are owner added . Nothing wrong with it if that is what you want.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 05:02:40 PM »
I don't know how they got added. However, I am the second owner and have had the vehicle since 1977. The original owner, who was my neighbor passed away about three months ago, so I can't ask him.
What I do know is that whom ever did the work, did so with all ford components, that includes the plastic grommet that was used on the deck lid and the ones that are in the hood are also Ford and ran through the hood structure. If it wasn't done by Ford, someone did some fantastic work.

-Keith