Author Topic: Battery i.d.  (Read 2116 times)

Offline kcodecoupe

Battery i.d.
« on: May 23, 2021, 08:20:14 PM »
Looking for input on an Autolite Stay full group 24 battery i have , i looked in the library section here but didnt see what i as looking for , the bottom of the battery has 148G and 91 & 92 molded numbers  on it , would this be a service replacement or an early repo battery , here are some pictures to shed light on it , thanks,
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 08:22:53 PM by kcodecoupe »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Battery i.d.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 10:30:20 PM »
Looking for input on an Autolite Stay full group 24 battery i have , i looked in the library section here but didnt see what i as looking for , the bottom of the battery has 148G and 91 & 92 molded numbers  on it , would this be a service replacement or an early repo battery , here are some pictures to shed light on it , thanks,
Looks like a early repro battery.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »
Would the stampings on the bottom indicate a date code and heat stamp, it also has a small letter R stamped on the top.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 06:15:27 PM »
Would the stampings on the bottom indicate a date code and heat stamp, it also has a small letter R stamped on the top.
On a genuine OEM battery there would be a date code on the bottom . I can't say what the repro battery people did because I don't keep track of the various versions and MFG's over the years . Also the sticker on top is different then genuine. FYI the Autolite name was dropped on the battery around end of 1970 and changed to Motorcraft. If the 91 or 92 numbers represent a date code it would be over 20 years after the name was dropped. Given your concern about what markings mean on a repro battery case I get the impression you are still holding out hope that the battery may be a genuine vs. a early repro. It is not a genuine battery based on the information you provided.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 10:52:12 AM »
Auotlite changed over to motorcraft fall of 71 after the autolite monopoly  lawsuit. Also the OE autolite batteries had a branded type melted in date code on top by the post.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 07:49:56 PM »
Auotlite changed over to motorcraft fall of 71 after the autolite monopoly  lawsuit. Also the OE autolite batteries had a branded type melted in date code on top by the post.

Couple of different methods/styles of marking depending on production period but a few examples to illustrate Ed's comments above

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)