Author Topic: replacing whitewall tires?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Murf

replacing whitewall tires?
« on: September 24, 2021, 04:28:09 PM »
Time to replace the tires on our 68 CS .  Prefer whitewall, 215 70 r14 with 1/2 or 5/8 whitewall.  Seems that whitewall tires are part of our past and not much choice.  Only Uniroyal or Nexus or a name something like that seem to available.  The royals have a reputation of becoming "brownwalls" soon after purchase and no amount of cleaning seems to keep them white - the brown keeps bleeding through - that is what I have been told by several folks.  Anyone have any suggestions for a whitewall in this size or anyone have any experience with the Nexus? brand.  What have you done for a whitewall radial 14 inch tire?  Thanks for any comments or advice. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: replacing whitewall tires?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:02:44 PM »
I thought Coker sells some modern radial whitewalls?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:31:35 PM »
Yes, I recently bought a set of FR70-14 BF Goodrich Silvertown radials from Coker. Equivalent to P21570R-14. Not cheap but nice looking.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 10:13:20 AM »
The name of the tires I had been considering was NEXAN.  After reading reviews posted on the net about this brand I will NOT be purchasing them.  Choices are slim for a 14 inch whitewall.  Other then Cooker or Diamond Back are there any dependable everyday whitewalls in 14 inch available?
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Building 3

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »
For radial tires I have switched to Diamond Back. They were very helpful in giving me exactly what I wanted. I told them the distance from the wheel to the whitewall and the width of the whitewall: 5/8".  The WSW don't turn brown because they put a protective layer between the white and the black rubber. My sets of UniRoyals all turned brown and the company was of no help. They know of the issue and refuse to help. There are other muscle/classic car websites that have lots of detail on browning of modern WSW radial tires. For my Concours car the bias-ply Coker WSW tires have never turned brown and still look brand new after 5+ years. That's my experience. By the way, Diamond Back uses the same model of Hankook tire as they put on the Ford Explorer, just a different size of course, so it has had vetting by a major OEM.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 12:14:55 PM by Building 3 »
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.