Author Topic: Aftermarket Drip Rail Cover - Good or Bad?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline MWM

Aftermarket Drip Rail Cover - Good or Bad?
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
Hello
I am considering replacing the shiny cover that goes over the drip rail (aluminum?) as mine are beat up ptty bad. Any recommendation on the aftermarket ones? Keep the originals for that vintage look?
Thanks!

Offline ruppstang

Re: Aftermarket Drip Rail Cover - Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
The after market ones are very difficult to install. The never seem to be made right. The originals are made of stainless steel witch is very easy to straiten and polish. I all way recommend Ford parts. Marty

Offline MWM

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »
Thanks Marty!
I will roll up my sleeves and try to polish up the originals. At least I know they will fit as they came off the car!

Offline mtchstng65

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:56 PM »
Helped a buddy try to use an aftermarket on his '65 hardtop and it was almost impossible to get it to work. Would definitely try to restore the original if possible.
1965 Fastback, 1966 Fastback, 1986 GT Hatchback (Unrestored), 2003 Mach 1,
2008 Shelby GT500,
641/2-66 Concours Mustang MCA Certified Judge & 1965-1966 Shelby MCA Certified Judge
www.showmemustang.com

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:13:50 AM »
If yours are badly dented or deeply scratched I would have them professionally restored. If you do not know what you are doing you can make it worse don't ask how I know. Marty

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:47:05 AM »
Mine too were bent up beyond repair, I picked up a good used, original  set from a forum member, had them refurbished here-

http://www.dellmetalpolishing.com/index2.html

along with the stainless window trim. Very happy with how things turned out.  Try searching for a similar outfit in your area on google, you might be surprised what you find within driving distance.

I too have read threads and seen pictures of hand lacerations from these pieces getting caught in buffing wheels. If you attempt it yourself be careful.

Best of luck.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline MWM

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 01:12:52 AM »
Thank you everyone for your input!
 I have decided to use a friend of mine that has over twenty year of experience with stainless fabricating. He's also an MCA Gold Card judge and has restored more than a few mustangs in his time. I agree, I don't want to mess this up with my own weekend warrior skills.