Author Topic: shifter dust boot installation  (Read 3185 times)

Offline kcodecoupe

shifter dust boot installation
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:48:34 AM »
How is the top loader lower shifter dust boot secured to the floor pan, is there seperate plate other than the upper shift boot that bolts to the floor pan thanks, chuck.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: shifter dust boot installation
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
I'm pretty sure it there's a rubber flange with screw holes in it, towards the top of the boot.  This tucks through the shifter hole and into the interior side of the floorpan, and then the screws that secure the upper shifter boot to the floor also go through this flange and secure the lower one.  So it's basically sandwiched between the upper boot and the floorpan.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Sean C. Gearty

• 1969 San Jose GT
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:01:24 AM »
both in non console 4spd and console 4spd, the 4 hex head screws secure the lower dust boot through the upper shifter dust boot to the floor. I have found it easier to set the screws towards the dash first, then work on the back two as you will have a better angle to see where your aligning the last two. I have used a nail with a larger head to drop in each after aligning the 4 holes. you can then firmly press down (hold) on one corner at a time, remove the nail and set the screw....again from the front to back. It takes some patience when working into place nos or new lower rubber dust boots.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »
Yes not a fun job - could use a couple of extra hands wrestling it into place. Just one of the reasons they often got tossed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:28:02 AM »
Thanks guys, its the original DOZA boot but looks like it has shrunk a litte where the boot comes through the shifter hole as the four holes dont line up with the four in the floor pan maybe from heat as i didnt have it installed correctly before.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 10:07:29 AM »
Yes not a fun job - could use a couple of extra hands wrestling it into place. Just one of the reasons they often got tossed

Plus, to me, they're aggravating to get oriented correctly, especially if it's your first time installing one.  It's not immediately obvious which part of the boot goes to the front and which part goes to the rear.  I scratched my head for quite a while on that one before I got it installed correctly.  And if I'm being dumb and there's an obvious way to tell the front from the back, don't be too harsh!   :P
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »
Speaking of the 69 C9OA-7E138-A lower shifting boot; the alignment tool hole is a good indicator for direction of installation.  For my 69 car two new screws holes were needed both on the right/passenger side.  I found it virtually impossible to install the boot with the trans and shifter already installed.  Brian
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:37:58 AM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »
Speaking of the 69 C9OA-7E138-A lower shifting boot; the alignment tool hole is a good indicator for direction of installation.  For my 69 car two new screws holes were needed both on the right/passenger side.  I found it virtually impossible to install the boot with the trans and shifter already installed.  Brian
That is because it is supposed to go on before the shifter is installed on the trans.It was on the trans/shifter control before the engine/trans assembly was installed in the car at Ford.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:46:59 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby