Author Topic: Judging the Engine Enamel Color  (Read 3020 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
Judging the Engine Enamel Color
« on: March 05, 2015, 10:40:16 PM »
I'm getting my engine rebuilt this weekend, and I'm seeing the engine needs to be the correct color. I'm having a heck of a time locating a great enamel the correct color. I was looking at Hirsch engine enamel but after buying and returning and buying and returning, I found out they don't make the correct paint! How critical is the color, since their is so many shades? What would be a really good enamel to paint the engine and what is the correct shade for a 1967 Mustang Fastback GTA S Code December 1966 San Jose Build?

Thank you for your time,
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Judging the Engine Enamel Color
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 03:13:34 PM »
Sorry Jeff,bone head move! Do you know where I can get the PPG mixed in high heat resistant paint?
Thanks
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »
Sorry Jeff,bone head move! Do you know where I can get the PPG mixed in high heat resistant paint?

No - Never knew anyone that wanted to do that. PPG holds up well to the heat cycles (lots and lots of engines painted with the stuff)  and many (especially BB owners) want to see the discolored paint on the heads or on others the exhaust manifolds
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »
Thanks
Travis
Use it just like in reply #2 of the linked thread. It will work fine on the engine with better results then the rattle can so called high temp engine paint. It will not holdup for long (for driver car) on the exhaust manifolds but nether will any of the rattle can paints . It is just supposed to be overspray there anyway. If on a driver and you want but that factory overspray look on the exhaust manifolds you can use the rattle can paint to touch it up when you need to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 05:46:14 PM »
I received some paint from Hirsch Automotive Products, rattle cans and a quart. At first I thought for sure it was the wrong color. But after reading all the engine color threads here in this forum I'm rethinking the color, it just might be the correct color. After spraying the water pump it looks right on, but put it next to the air cleaner, the Hirsch paint has a green tint to it. Now I've seen in previous threads, people have said the original had a green tint.

Thanks for the responses,
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 05:56:26 PM »
I received some paint from Hirsch Automotive Products, rattle cans and a quart. At first I thought for sure it was the wrong color. But after reading all the engine color threads here in this forum I'm rethinking the color, it just might be the correct color. After spraying the water pump it looks right on, but put it next to the air cleaner, the Hirsch paint has a green tint to it. Now I've seen in previous threads, people have said the original had a green tint.

Thanks for the responses,
Travis
Taking your post at face value a green tint is not correct. I know I wouldn't describe it that way. Colors are hard to describe by words.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 06:00:01 PM »
Most of the better restoration shops and knowledgeable enthusiast restorers use the PPG product. Thought I would mention it for it's testimonial value .

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
Here's a picture of what I was talking about.
 Thanks for our help,
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »
.........Now I've seen in previous threads, people have said the original had a green tint.

I've seen that on original engines nor have I hear others mention any green tint.  Must have missed that thread

Don't know that I've ever seen that suppliers paint on a restored car - if they appear off to the eye we often discuss it and deduct for it if  that is the decision. Have seen some that were to purple or green - does depend on which way the car is facing and where the sun is at the time. Can be a dramatic change at times
Jeff Speegle

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 06:51:06 PM »
Thanks Bob and Jeff! The 67 was my first car and sold years back. Since then I was able to get a replacement 67. I attempting a concourse restoration, sometimes it's a little overwhelming. Thanks to you two and everyone else for your replies, it helping out a lot.

Travis

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10254.msg60924#msg60924
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:32:16 PM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -