Author Topic: seat belt bolt gaskets 70 Dearborn  (Read 1025 times)

Offline 70qcode

seat belt bolt gaskets 70 Dearborn
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:01:14 AM »
I recall a discussion of this topic in the past and have looked high and low on the site but I cannot find it. It concerns the rectangular "gaskets" or seals used around seat belt bolt holes on the inside of the car, particularly the rear seat belts, but I guess all of them, potentially. Anyway, on my car (Oct, 1969 Dearborn build Mach 1), these little gaskets were present, stuck to the metal of the floor. As I said I recall a discussion of possible replacement material options for these, since the original material on my car is a bit passed re-use and in any case was scraped off ages ago. I suppose I could use a small piece of rubber or similar, but can anyone shed light on this?? Thank You!

Offline 70qcode

Re: seat belt bolt gaskets 70 Dearborn
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:13:46 PM »
OK, here is what I am referring to. With the help of Scott at West Coast Classic Cougar (Thank You Scott!), we went out in the yard and looked over their collection of 69 and 70 Cougars. Where the rear seat belts attach to the floor, in many cases only traces of a gooey application of what is butyl or similar is present. But, on a number of the 69 San Jose and at least 1 70 Dearborn cars, these two-ply square gaskets were stuck to the floor, long after the bolts were removed. We did not check under the carpet on the transmission tunnel to see if they are used there too. Anyway, it was about the possible replacement products for this material that I recall seeing a thread...somewhere. Any thoughts much appreciated!
Neil