Author Topic: Rocker Panel Molding installation  (Read 19525 times)

Offline Angela

Rocker Panel Molding installation
« on: May 10, 2015, 07:10:49 PM »
Admittedly, installing the clips and rocker panel moldings (on a 67) sounds like a simple task. However, I'm fairly concerned about scratching the paint during the process, so I wanted to ask those who've installed rocker moldings if they could offer advice / tips.

I have NOS moldings and clips, including the two rounded clips (one per side) that go at the leading edge of the molding. I assume it's a simple process of riveting the clips to the body, then what?.... slowly one by one tapping the molding onto the clips?

Do I start at the front of the molding with the clip that is held to the fender with a small stud and nut?

I think the later cars ('70 Mach 1s?) used some sort of very thin plastic between the body and this molding to protect the paint.... was something similar used here in 67?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Rocker Panel Molding installation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 08:08:39 PM »
There should be no tapping or hammering at all of these moldings when installing.  They will ding/dent if you put a rubber mallet to them.  Best way it to get the front attached through the hole, then position the molding on the top of the clips, push down from the top edge and roll the bottom on with the palm of your hand.  Should pop on relatively easy, unless the clips aren't aligned correctly or maybe new holes were drilled due to panel replacement.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »
Charles, thanks for the advice! OK, got it, don't use any tools.... just tap with my hand.

Sadly, I spoke too soon. While I purchased the NOS rocker moldings several years ago, I never opened the sealed wrappers until just now. I have such bad luck. It looks like the moldings were scuffed with 600 grit paper (about 1" x 6" area) before they were clear anodized. It's very noticeable. I paid a LOT of money for these and there's no way I could put these on the car. I could scream.

The PVC pipe they were shipped in says they came from Bill Herndon's PonyWarehous. I sent them an email yet doubt I'll have any luck since I know I bought these quite a few years ago. Dang it.

If anyone could help me in some way with this, please let me know. I think I once sent out a deck lid molding to have it re-anodized but I don't recall where I had that done. That might be the only way I could use these moldings.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 12:12:12 AM »
Are you sure it isn't glue residue from the packaging?  Most of these I have seen were pretty nice.  Of course, always possible they get damaged from sitting around.  The vendor you mentioned moved to NC a few years back.  Worth a try to contact them.  They may not have known about the defect.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 01:43:01 AM »
Charles, thanks for the advice! OK, got it, don't use any tools.... just tap with my hand.

Sadly, I spoke too soon. While I purchased the NOS rocker moldings several years ago, I never opened the sealed wrappers until just now. I have such bad luck. It looks like the moldings were scuffed with 600 grit paper (about 1" x 6" area) before they were clear anodized. It's very noticeable. I paid a LOT of money for these and there's no way I could put these on the car. I could scream.

The PVC pipe they were shipped in says they came from Bill Herndon's PonyWarehous. I sent them an email yet doubt I'll have any luck since I know I bought these quite a few years ago. Dang it.

If anyone could help me in some way with this, please let me know. I think I once sent out a deck lid molding to have it re-anodized but I don't recall where I had that done. That might be the only way I could use these moldings.
What you may be looking at is where the anodizing is starting to deteriorate .I have seen this many times with NOS trim. It would not be a seller issue because it could have started to deteriorate at anytime hidden under the sealed wrappings where it could not be seen until unwrapped. Many sellers know this and is why they sell in the original sealed packaging so that they can't be to blame. I always insist on inspection before I buy I some otherwise it is a gamble. the wheel arch trim is especially bad at this happening. The only way you can salvage them is to have them re "Brite Dip Anodized" this is the kind of plating the factory used . This is not to be confused with regular clear anodizing. Clear anodizing is a different process and will give a dull appearance on shiny aluminum trim. The Brite Dip process is specialized and not many do it . You should check in the services section of Hemmings . That is where I have seen company's advertises that they will do it. This process has been discussed in other threads. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:49:30 AM »
Are you sure it isn't glue residue from the packaging?  Most of these I have seen were pretty nice.  Of course, always possible they get damaged from sitting around.  The vendor you mentioned moved to NC a few years back.  Worth a try to contact them.  They may not have known about the defect.
I had a problem with glue a couple months back.  I tried denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, xylene, WD-40, goo-gone, etc.  Nothing would touch it.  Ended up that a rubbing compound, by hand, did the trick.  Turned out perfect.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
I also just ran into this, unwrapped an NOS molding, and the anodizing was clouded on the last 8" or so, I'm guessing that the packaging got wet at some point...

(this is the second NOS moulding that I bought that has issues)

If you find someone that can do the brite dip anodizing on your molding, let me know how you made out. I'm guessing it will probably be cheaper to find another NOS molding than have mine fixed.  :(

John

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »
The NOS ones that have defective anodizing probably wouldn't be a huge cost since basically the piece just needs to be stripped of the current anodizing and then bright-dipped.  Compared to restoring original pieces, which will be dented/pitted, should be quicker to do one that is NOS.

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 11:36:22 AM »
Thanks for the information guys.

The damage is definitely not glue. It truly looks like 600 grit scratches in the aluminum prior to the clear plating. In other words, you can see the scratches as you rotate the molding in the light, yet when you run your finger over the affected area, you don't feel the scratches. I suppose I could try to get a picture of this.

One thing I note from reading this thread, is that wouldn't really call these moldings brite or shiny. Rather, the aluminum has more of a satin sheen to it... polished well but certainly not like the SS window trim.

I don't even know where to start, concerning finding someone who could replate them. First I'll see what Ponywarehouse has to say, yet I doubt they'll help me. I sent them an email and haven't received a response. I plan to call them today.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »
My brother used McNichols Anodizing before, but it has been over 10 years.  If you can't find anything local to you, call them to get a price.  If you think you want to give it a go with them, I could be your eyes and ears, and handle shipping.  Hopefully they would agree to do one first, get it inspected, then do the other if it looks good.

http://www.mcnicholsanodizing.com/
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Angela

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 09:42:46 AM »
Well, I spoke with Bill @ Bill Herndon's Ponywarehouse concerning the NOS rocker panel moldings I purchased from him. I believe his position is that  the damaged moldings had never been out of the plastic wrappers, therefore the problem is Ford's, not his. While I'm pretty irritated about this, I am able  to see his perspective on the situation.

That said, I'm not completely convinced the moldings I bought from him truly came from Ford sealed in *that* specific plastic packaging.  I'll admit I am no expert at NOS parts, but having spent the past 15 years locating and buying NOS parts, these plastic bags that held the moldings don't look like Ford packaging I'm accustomed to seeing.  There was simply a modern-looking white sticker affixed to each plastic bag with the ford PN on it. The front clip (at the fender) which was attached to each molding, however, does have a ford PN molded into it.

Anyway, so now I know I spent big bucks on a pair of cosmetically flawed "NOS" rocker moldings and I'm stuck with them. Super. But, I guess it's time to quit crying in my soup and move on to a solution.  Since I'm not able to locate another NOS pair, I will give McNichols Anodizing a call and see where we go from here. Thanks for the tip on the source for anodizing!

Offline dave6768

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 08:28:42 PM »
I would think the vendor should be on the hook.  He did not inspect them when he bought them.  You bought them as NOS and they are damaged.  You should have a right to return them.  Just my 0.02

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05:15 PM »
Well, I spoke with Bill @ Bill Herndon's Ponywarehouse concerning the NOS rocker panel moldings I purchased from him. I believe his position is that  the damaged moldings had never been out of the plastic wrappers, therefore the problem is Ford's, not his. While I'm pretty irritated about this, I am able  to see his perspective on the situation.

That said, I'm not completely convinced the moldings I bought from him truly came from Ford sealed in *that* specific plastic packaging.  I'll admit I am no expert at NOS parts, but having spent the past 15 years locating and buying NOS parts, these plastic bags that held the moldings don't look like Ford packaging I'm accustomed to seeing.  There was simply a modern-looking white sticker affixed to each plastic bag with the ford PN on it. The front clip (at the fender) which was attached to each molding, however, does have a ford PN molded into it.

Anyway, so now I know I spent big bucks on a pair of cosmetically flawed "NOS" rocker moldings and I'm stuck with them. Super. But, I guess it's time to quit crying in my soup and move on to a solution.  Since I'm not able to locate another NOS pair, I will give McNichols Anodizing a call and see where we go from here. Thanks for the tip on the source for anodizing!
How many years ago did you buy them?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 07:58:22 AM »
I would think the vendor should be on the hook.  He did not inspect them when he bought them.  You bought them as NOS and they are damaged.  You should have a right to return them.  Just my 0.02

I disagree. The OP has stated these were puchased several years ago. IMHO, they should have been inspected upon arrival back WHEN THEY WERE PURCHASED. Generally speaking, NOS items that have been "opened" will not fetch as much most of the time. Had the OP bought and PAID for them, only then should anyone have opened the wrapping (either before or after shipping) Had they been opened at that time, at or around the date of purchase, then maybe a chance of help or consideration for any damage. Also, in my opinion, OPENED NOS  packaging on moldings, though they can be seen, often get damaged i(usually scratched/bent) n handling while unopened only implies "unopened" and nothing more.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 02:28:36 PM »
Allot of NOS parts are damaged after all these years - one of the reasons they are on the shelf and not a car IMHO. Even originally they showed up to the dealer with imperfections and were handed back to be returned to the shelf to sit, get moved around, box worn or worst.

Always had to go through 5-a dozen boxes it seemed to pick out the best gauge bezel, hubcap, moulding ....... in the 70-and 80's to get the best one the dealer had laying around.  What happened to the ones I and others didn't take?   They sat around another 20 plus years to today. Owners too often IMHO believe that they are buying perfect parts if they choose NOS - unfortunately not not the case allot of the time.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)