Author Topic: C6 Transmission Engagement Lag: Looking for advice  (Read 8206 times)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: C6 Transmission Engagement Lag: Looking for advice
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 07:38:34 AM »
How much fluid did you start with? C6 holds a lot
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »
How much fluid did you start with? C6 holds a lot

I mentioned this earlier, worded differently. Dead-empty as much as 12 quarts. I've installed many-a C6 over the years and depending the amount of drain (and even a USED replacement I would drain off converter also whenever possible) On a trans I knew was completely empty, I would add 6 before start-up, add 4 more once running and then begin to check. Keep in mind, some fluid clings to the walls of the dipstick tube for several minutes after adding which can scrape some onto the stick, this can give a false-read. Once I am sure it needs more, I begin adding 1/2 quart (1 pint) at a time till I get near, but below the full HOT mark. W/rear wheels raised, take it for a spin, beginning in Low-1, shifting up to 2nd and then into drive. From Drive, back down to 2nd, then Low. I then will brake wheels to stop, go into Reverse once, then back through the gears one more time and recheck. Add fluid as needed, no more than 1/2 quart at a time to prevent overfilling. ALSO, if overfilled, not panicking because this is a rather easy fix too.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Angela

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »
I really have no idea how much fluid I originally added to the empty, rebuilt transmission (too much time has passed and I don't remember). That said, I added a 3/4 qt (in 1/4 qt increments) with the engine off, and now I can just barely detect a drop of fluid on the very end (tip) of the dipstick. Now I believe I should start it up again and add fluid while it's running and in park. I suspect that the fluid level will drop when I start the engine.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 06:44:11 PM »
 It may drop if the converter isn't full. As I stated previously: After you get it started, check fluid level and get it up to the 'add' mark. Put it in gear, if on jackstands, or move it back and forth a couple times. Get the fluid up to temp and check again.  Add carefully 'til on or close to the full mark. Test drive. Check one last time to see if level came up when fully warmed. Then check as part of normal fluid checks.