Author Topic: 1967 Instrument Cluster Wiring Diagram w/Tach  (Read 5942 times)

Offline BlueOval

1967 Instrument Cluster Wiring Diagram w/Tach
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:21:52 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I've searched high and low and can't seem to find a wiring diagram for a '67 tach dash instrument cluster.  I have two originals and they are wired differently with different colored wires.  I'd like to verify which one, if any, are correct.  I've tried examining other clusters on the web but it's difficult to see the colors of the wires as the weave through the loom.  A printed diagram would be preferred.

Thanks, Jim
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:24:07 PM by BlueOval »

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 1967 Instrument Cluster Wiring Diagram w/Tach
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:56:23 PM »
No such thing exists.  However, I know both the tach and standard dash cluster wiring harnesses very well.  The only difference that I know if is that the standard has a yellow wire and a red wire on the 12 pin connector; the tach has a light blue/black and a yellow black in those positions.  In addition, the 67 tach version has a green/white male bullet plug, whereas the standard has a two pin plastic molex connector with the green/white wire and the light blue/black wire (power for the clock).

If these don't clarify things, can you describe more of what you are seeing as the differences?

I have reverse engineered both variants and have run lengths for all wires.  However, I am not releasing these out to the public as they are one of the few unique benefits of my harness restoration business.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:21:01 AM »
The 1967 electrical assembly manual has wiring schematics (or reasonable representations) for both the tach and non-tach wiring systems. There might be enough info there to help you out.
Brad

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:38:34 AM »
I just re-examined that document and only the non-tach dash cluster has a schematic.

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
Here are a couple of photos that might help...

The first is a 1967 instrument cluster without a tach (made in August 1966), and the second in a 1967 instrument cluster with a tach (made in January 1967 - and please disregard the replacement clock)...

1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 12:07:30 AM »
Yes, I just looked at the assembly manual and found it wasn't there either and I feel foolish about giving everyone bad information. :) I was working from memory and this is another justification why its such a bad thing to do.

My other source of information was the 67 shop manual and between the two manuals I found enough information work out the wiring for a non-tach to tach conversion. It took me a long time to do it and the only reason why I did it was because I couldn't find anyone to help at the time (before this forum). Once you do it yourself you realise the value of people like Midlife and the knowledge they hold. Whatever they charge for their experience is money well spent.

Offline BlueOval

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:39:25 PM »
I'm very sorry for not replying earlier to these posts that you guys were so gracious to respond to but I've had a small personal setback that has prevented me from playing in the shop.  I will not bore you with the details but I'll survive.

In the picture here I have posted of two tach dashes, you can see there is a slight difference in the wiring loom.  It seems that some of the differences include the color of the wires that go to the oil & brake warning lights, water temp gauge, left turn signal indicator as well as a ground missing on one that is present on the other.  There are extra female sockets, two pin connector (which I believe to be correct) at the letf turn signal indicator that includes the clock power socket.  Can any of you figure out what I have here and which is correct ?  I was hoping to find a wire diagram so as to diagnose this and not bother someone who's been through it before.

I have a diagram of a standard wiring loom (dash, engine, lights, ect w/exception to the cluster) via the osborn manuals but it doesn't specify the differences between those looms from tach to non-tach. 

Let me know if you need additional pics or if you need me to separate the wires a bit for better viewing. 

I also wouldn't mind finding a resource for the original C7xx part number tags that are correct for the tach cluster, dash, etc looms.

Thanks, Jim

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 09:48:38 PM »
There are subtle differences in wire colors between years and even within years, probably due to multiple vendors supplying Ford these harnesses.  I wouldn't be too concerned unless the base colors are completely different.

The two pin connector near the Left turn signal is correct for the standard dash; it is not there for the tach dash; instead, there is a male bullet plug for the left turn signal lamp. 

Both harnesses appear to be correct, each for their proper application.

Offline BlueOval

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 06:19:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply midlife,

Ok, so I understand that the colors may vary from vendor and year. 

Can you help me with the following questions;

Top pictured cluster:
1) What is the extra Light Blue/Black Stripe wire with female connector used for ?
2) What is the Black wire with male connector for ?
3) Why is there no ground  ? ( I think I may have found the answer to questions 2 & 3 but need verification.  Is the black male connector supposed to be connected to a ground strap like the bottom pictured cluster ?)

Bottom pictured cluster:
1)  What is the extra Black female connector used for that is in series with the Black wire that terminates at the Water Temp Gauge ?

I don't want to cut up any of these original wire harnesses or use an original cluster for a Shelby clone I'm building, so I've rigged a non-tach cluster to accommodate an original tach and the car has an original non-tach dash wiring loom and I would like to modify the non-tach cluster wiring loom so that the tach and everything works with it. Hope that makes sense.

If you know of or sell any resources that answer these questions, I'd be interested in spending the money instead of boring  you with my ideas and questions. I also would like to find a resource that duplicates the original Ford C7xx part number tag for a tach cluster wiring loom if you know of any.

Thanks,  Jim

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply midlife,

Ok, so I understand that the colors may vary from vendor and year. 

Can you help me with the following questions;

Top pictured cluster:
1) What is the extra Light Blue/Black Stripe wire with female connector used for ?That's power for the optional clock
2) What is the Black wire with male connector for ?That should be the ground to the CVR.  See the top photo for how that connection is made.
3) Why is there no ground  ? ( I think I may have found the answer to questions 2 & 3 but need verification.  Is the black male connector supposed to be connected to a ground strap like the bottom pictured cluster ?)See #2. 

Bottom pictured cluster:
1)  What is the extra Black female connector used for that is in series with the Black wire that terminates at the Water Temp Gauge ?Good eye!  I did not catch that last night.  The wire you are questioning about is actually from a 1966 underdash harness, which is the only year which has three CVR outputs on that wire.  That's not the correct wire for a 1967. 

I don't want to cut up any of these original wire harnesses or use an original cluster for a Shelby clone I'm building, so I've rigged a non-tach cluster to accommodate an original tach and the car has an original non-tach dash wiring loom and I would like to modify the non-tach cluster wiring loom so that the tach and everything works with it. Hope that makes sense. I can sell you either factory correct wiring harnesses from my inventory (refurbished with a 2 year warranty, for $60).

If you know of or sell any resources that answer these questions, I'd be interested in spending the money instead of boring  you with my ideas and questions. I also would like to find a resource that duplicates the original Ford C7xx part number tag for a tach cluster wiring loom if you know of any.Sorry...no information on sourcing of tags.

Thanks,  Jim
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:25:39 PM by midlife »

Offline BlueOval

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »
Thanks Midlife,

Thanks for the info, I'll probably take you up on one or two refurbished looms.

Do you sell individual wires such as the left signal indicator wire with the bulb socket and male plug on the end ?  As you can tell, I also need that one black wire that is the ground for the fuel gauge, water temp and goes to the relay that has female sockets on each end for the gauges and has a female spade that connects to the relay.  These two wires are all I need to complete the additional tach cluster. 

I have three more tach clusters that have no wire looms that I will need your services for.  I believe that you can turn a non-tach wire loom into a tach loom, correct ?  Can you restore a non-tach under dash wire loom and convert it to a tach dash loom ?

Thanks, Jim

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 10:17:58 PM »
Thanks Midlife,

Thanks for the info, I'll probably take you up on one or two refurbished looms.

Do you sell individual wires such as the left signal indicator wire with the bulb socket and male plug on the end ?  Normally I would, but I am running low on those.  As you can tell, I also need that one black wire that is the ground for the fuel gauge, water temp and goes to the relay that has female sockets on each end for the gauges and has a female spade that connects to the relay.  These two wires are all I need to complete the additional tach cluster.  That's no problem.  I can handle all of those issues if you send in that harness and let me refurbish it back to factory condition. 

I have three more tach clusters that have no wire looms that I will need your services for. Great!  I believe that you can turn a non-tach wire loom into a tach loom, correct ?  You mean the dash cluster harness?  Yes, but it will not be concours correct, as I focus upon functionality to keep prices reasonable.  Can you restore a non-tach under dash wire loom and convert it to a tach dash loom ?  Absolutely; I do this all the time.  About 20% of my work are conversions. 

Thanks, Jim