Author Topic: '67 GTA 289 missing engine compartment wire connections  (Read 2283 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 GTA 289 missing engine compartment wire connections
« on: July 22, 2015, 07:29:20 PM »
The wire harness in the middle of the picture, with two wires and a third looped back to the connector....previous owner cut the wires..any one know where they originally went?....so I can reconnect them ( April '67 Metuchen 289 car with a/c)  They presently aren't connected to anything, but I can see they have been cut.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: '67 GTA 289 missing engine compartment wire connections
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
The looped wire is the starter loop, manual trans cars, the other two wires would be the reverse light wires, also for manual trans cars. If you had an automatic transmission, this is where the neutral safety switch connects, which also funcions the reverse lights.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:36:06 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:05:48 PM »
I'll have to get under and look and see what remains of the neutral safety switch.  So...just so I understand...the two wires extending from the harness(before they were cut) went to the neutral safety switch...and if the switch is still there, as well as the other portion of the cut wires, I should be able  to reconnect them?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »
I'll have to get under and look and see what remains of the neutral safety switch.  So...just so I understand...the two wires extending from the harness(before they were cut) went to the neutral safety switch...and if the switch is still there, as well as the other portion of the cut wires, I should be able  to reconnect them?
You have a manual trans backup light switch harness.It only uses 2 wires.  The automatic uses all four wires . 2 for the reverse lights and 2 for the neutral saftey switch . In the case of what you have the loop wire could be cut and wire spliced to run to the neutral safety switch. If wires a still coming out of the neutral safety switch you could hook them up but would have to know what is what . You could not hook them up in random and expect things to work.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:39:45 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:44:16 PM »
If some wires are still there coming out of the switch you should be able to identify the backup light wires by matching color codes on the wires and the hanging harness. By elimination you will then be able to determine which are for the safety switch aspect.  There is no polarity involved.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline socalgt

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:54:23 PM »
Thanks for the info....I'll check and see what wires are still on the switch.  It's strange that someone would connect the wrong wire harness for an automatic and end up cutting them any way.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »
Thanks for the info....I'll check and see what wires are still on the switch.  It's strange that someone would connect the wrong wire harness for an automatic and end up cutting them any way.
Just a guess but most likely out of frustration because the PO sourced the wrong harness and it wouldn't hook up. You couldn't hook up a manual harness to a automatic  if the harness was intact. There is a push button type switch at the end of the manual harness. Maybe the PO had intentions of modifying it to work and couldn't manage to get the job done. 
A couple of possibilities. 

Offline socalgt

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »
Well.....the switch is missing all together.  I posted a pic of what I believe I need...and I assume this will connect directly to the harness coming through the firewall...which is original.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:01 PM »
Well.....the switch is missing all together.  I posted a pic of what I believe I need...and I assume this will connect directly to the harness coming through the firewall...which is original.
That is the switch with harness that plugs into the one coming from firewall.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
Thanks....I found an original one and I'll install it when it cools down here...Awfully humid for southern California(no sympathy from Floridians, I'm sure)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 06:57:52 AM »
Thanks....I found an original one and I'll install it when it cools down here...Awfully humid for southern California(no sympathy from Floridians, I'm sure)
That's a fact.   ;D
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com