Author Topic: Help Identify Bolts  (Read 8130 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Help Identify Bolts
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
I for one am always impressed in the time you take to look up the hardware and grateful for you doing so.

+1

I have already found the spreadsheets very useful, and I am only working on but 1 car at this time.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
I am too Bob. Well said.
Jim, you definitely set an admirable standard. Always so impressed. I'm terrible with bolt sizes, threads in particular, and you just seem to be able to have that output available and practically IMMEDIATE! I have an old AMK book (think it's 2005) and it's a pretty pathetic sight, I would imagine, seeing me at my computer, trying to reconcile differences and figure these fasteners out. My wife thinks its 'cute', but I remain quietly frustrated most of the time...
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »
So were these bolts with these head markings specific to San Jose only at this time period or also at Dearborn?  Unfortunate these are not offered by AMK with these markings. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 05:56:05 PM »
Will be interesting to hear what others have to say. My experience over the years has been only San Jose cars, limited also to 64.5-67's. The last time I ordered direct from AMK was quite awhile back, and even then, the compressor mounting bolts I received were not quite the same as original, as we're referencing in this thread. I'm missing one of the "correct" dog leg/lateral bracket bolts going in from the side, so it bugs me that I'm getting by with similar for now.
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 06:19:14 PM »
Will be interesting to hear what others have to say. My experience over the years has been only San Jose cars, limited also to 64.5-67's. The last time I ordered direct from AMK was quite awhile back, and even then, the compressor mounting bolts I received were not quite the same as original, as we're referencing in this thread. I'm missing one of the "correct" dog leg/lateral bracket bolts going in from the side, so it bugs me that I'm getting by with similar for now.
The AMK stuff is changing all of the time as supplies run out of old stock . You never know until a order comes in to see what next is on the "different" list.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »
I am too Bob. Well said.
Jim, you definitely set an admirable standard. Always so impressed. I'm terrible with bolt sizes, threads in particular, and you just seem to be able to have that output available and practically IMMEDIATE! I have an old AMK book (think it's 2005) and it's a pretty pathetic sight, I would imagine, seeing me at my computer, trying to reconcile differences and figure these fasteners out. My wife thinks its 'cute', but I remain quietly frustrated most of the time...
I for one am always impressed in the time you take to look up the hardware and grateful for you doing so.
Thanks guys. Check out the revised spreadsheets and the new spreadsheet by size.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 12:25:39 AM »
So were these bolts with these head markings specific to San Jose only at this time period or also at Dearborn?  Unfortunate these are not offered by AMK with these markings.

That's the only style I have seen, but I have not paid attention to any differences in assembly plants.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 12:26:12 AM »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »
The odd tubular brace bolts appear to differ at times (sorry don't have anything from other plants related to this detail). Washer makes this assemble stand out

Top three are 66 San Jose example - sorry they are not close enough to make out the head markings

This is an example from 65 San Jose where the head marking is different

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 10:05:42 PM »
Those are great shots Jeff. That photo library you have put together delivers, as always. Unbelievable that you have (and actually know & remember) what you have to resource. It inspired me to get home from work and use some available daylight up here to add what is on our car. Preface this by saying it was a quick photo shoot, logo's are upside down and the engine is undergoing a leak-sealing campaign, so everything external to the heads and block is either off the motor or soon will be. First shot is an overall, starting with the coil bracket bolt on the left, bolt attaching the rear compressor brace bar to the intake, lone lateral (dog leg) bolt that I have currently, then the two AMK replacements for same on the right, along with some serrated, external tooth washers added. The compressor tag bolt is the same as your '65 example and as far as I know, is original on our car (I've had it now for 28 yrs). Not surprised to see this however, as there has been some other fasteners scattered around the engine compartment (star washer/disc washer mix), along with a '65 console end cap for the A/C provision. The serrated washers definitely do stand out, as you mention.
The logo's have an 'EL' on both the 2nd and 3rd from the left, and if you look closely at #3, there's an additional 'H' inside the 'L'. I'd never seen that before tonight.
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 11:07:28 AM »
So I was at my friend's shop today looking through his Eaton pumps and decided to go through his bolt collection and found some additional AC compressor bolts that hold the unit to the iron plate.  Most have the EL logo but found one or two that have an R in the middle.  Didn't find the longer ones yet that go to the dog ear but might go back Monday after work and look again. 
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 09:22:08 PM »
The R ones might be fuel pump bolts.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 12:28:10 AM »
In the Library Section of this forum, you will find a Hardware Spreadsheet that is sorted by Size/Dimension. It has about 9300 entries. If you do some basic measurements of bolts for example, diameter, threads per inch and length you may get lucky and determine what the bolt you have in your hand goes to, you know - the one that you found under the rear axle that doesn't seem to have a home. Same identification concept works for nuts and washers. I use it all the time (and I created it).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 11:15:12 PM »
Those are great shots Jeff. That photo library you have put together delivers, as always. Unbelievable that you have (and actually know & remember) what you have to resource. It inspired me to get home from work and use some available daylight up here to add what is on our car. Preface this by saying it was a quick photo shoot, logo's are upside down and the engine is undergoing a leak-sealing campaign, so everything external to the heads and block is either off the motor or soon will be. First shot is an overall, starting with the coil bracket bolt on the left, bolt attaching the rear compressor brace bar to the intake, lone lateral (dog leg) bolt that I have currently, then the two AMK replacements for same on the right, along with some serrated, external tooth washers added. The compressor tag bolt is the same as your '65 example and as far as I know, is original on our car (I've had it now for 28 yrs). Not surprised to see this however, as there has been some other fasteners scattered around the engine compartment (star washer/disc washer mix), along with a '65 console end cap for the A/C provision. The serrated washers definitely do stand out, as you mention.
The logo's have an 'EL' on both the 2nd and 3rd from the left, and if you look closely at #3, there's an additional 'H' inside the 'L'. I'd never seen that before tonight.

Lance,

You said the second one from the left attached the brace bar to the intake, is that 9/16 head because mine is 1/2 inch (42789-S2) and the 9/16 won't fit through the back hole and the thread size is way too big...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:27:51 AM by ChrisV289 »
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »
Chris,
Yes, 1/2" head on the rear brace bolt. Sorry about that. Has the ELH head too.
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options