Author Topic: Engine required.  (Read 3800 times)

Offline austr6

Engine required.
« on: October 28, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »
Hello all,
I know this is going to be a very difficult thing to acquire,  I am looking for a 289 4V to suit May build 66 A Code GT mustang DSO71.with correct date stamping / casting
I live in Australia and would love any feed back from the guys here, please go easy on me, I am new to mustangs and its a steep learning curve for me.
The engine I have appears to have the correct date code timing cover and intake manifold etc, so it looks like the block and heads were changed and they retained most of the original other parts ?
I intend on getting this vehicle as close to correct as i possibly can, and its very important to me to start with a correct engine block/heads

Thank you.
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Auto ,Air conditioning, Power Steering
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine required.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 05:33:31 PM »
So your going to be looking for a Feb-March block  with Thermactor heads  that has not been overbored. 2V or 4V isn't going to make a big difference since you already have the intake. Though it would be nice you'll have allot better chance finding a 2V engine and the price should reflect it also. Consider everything - buy the best ;)

Moving this to the wanted area. IMHO plenty of possibilities out there but having to deal with the date details will not make allot of sellers happy :(  And of course from a distance its not going to be easy.  There are normally a few engines every week in the California Craiglists though few will mention anything about the dates or castings in the ads.

Would be good if they still have at least the smog "trees" attached to the heads since they are often bent or destroyed when guys try and take them off

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:18:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline austr6

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:54:20 PM »
So your going to be looking for a Dec-Jan block  with Thermactor heads  that has not been overbored. 2V or 4V isn't going to make a big difference since you already have the intake. Though it would be nice you'll have allot better chance finding a 2V engine and the price should reflect it also. Consider everything - buy the best ;)

Moving this to the wanted area. IMHO plenty of possibilities out there but having to deal with the date details will not make allot of sellers happy :(  And of course from a distance its not going to be easy.  There are normally a few engines every week in the California Craiglists though few will mention anything about the dates or castings in the ads.

Would be good if they still have at least the smog "trees" attached to the heads since they are often bent or destroyed when guys try and take them off
the vehicle build date was May 20 1966, so you are saying the correct block casting date would be Dec 65 or Jan 66? is that the correct time frame between casting and vehicle production dates and what would be the precise casting numbers and casting dates for it? , I know I am being pedantic,
but I want to be 100 % sure I am chasing the correct parts. If that is correct, then the assembly stamping date would be most likely what ?

Really appreciate your help and knowledge.
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
the vehicle build date was May 20 1966, so you are saying the correct block casting date would be Dec 65 or Jan 66? is that the correct time frame between casting and vehicle production dates and what would be the precise casting numbers and casting dates for it? , I know I am being pedantic,
but I want to be 100 % sure I am chasing the correct parts. If that is correct, then the assembly stamping date would be most likely what ?

My mistake - happens sometimes but we can set things straight from this point.

Checking my records if your car was built around the time Ford guessed it would be and by looking at numbers from other cars built around the same time and plant it appears the common spread is Feb - April 66. You can not be more precise than that IMHO since we can't be sure of any specific. But this is a good thing since it will give you a wider range to search for.

Looks like assembly machining and assembly dates for those blocks cover mostly April and possibly the very first part of May, looking at what I've collected at this point.

Would guess that allot of your car's unibody sheet metal is from Mar/April period 

Jeff Speegle

Offline Sixtsix

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 04:39:22 AM »
Have an April 66 block with a May 4 66 assembly date
Standard bore complete with crank, rods and Pistons
Might consider selling
Based in Melb
Cheers

Offline austr6

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »
would this be a correct dated block given the vehicle build date is May 20 1966 ?
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »
would this be a correct dated block given the vehicle build date is May 20 1966 ?

For a projected build date mid or so May 66 built at  San Jose

Looking at what I've got record of Feb to even April 66 would be appropriate  IMHO
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:17:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 12:23:48 AM »
Looks like you hit the jackpot!! :)
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline austr6

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 03:02:00 AM »
Might consider selling
Based in Melb
Cheers
I'm interested, I have sent you a PM.
Kind regards,
Richard
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »
Looks like you hit the jackpot!! :)

The April block offered might work. May 4th date appears tight IMHO (considering the assembly date - the reason I suggested April might work)  but since we really don't know when your car was built (and likely never will) hard to argue it could not have happened
Jeff Speegle

Offline austr6

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 05:29:54 PM »
Might consider selling
Based in Melb
Cheers
I am still interested in this
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 08:26:42 PM »
I am still interested in this

Hope Sixtsix gets back to you, Kinda cruel to dangle that out there and then????
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline Sixtsix

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 05:15:24 AM »
Will get back to you with more information when I get home next week
Been travelling so not a lot of time for typing messages
Cheers

Offline austr6

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 05:42:15 PM »
Hello all,
I know this is going to be a very difficult thing to acquire,  I am looking for a 289 4V to suit May build 66 A Code GT mustang DSO71.with correct date stamping / casting
I live in Australia and would love any feed back from the guys here, please go easy on me, I am new to mustangs and its a steep learning curve for me.
The engine I have appears to have the correct date code timing cover and intake manifold etc, so it looks like the block and heads were changed and they retained most of the original other parts ?
I intend on getting this vehicle as close to correct as i possibly can, and its very important to me to start with a correct engine block/heads

Thank you.

I have found a block, but would like your opinions of the numbers that are cast into this block  (see attachment/image) , is this a suitable block or can anyone see a problem with these casting dates etc matching up with my vehicles projected build date listed in the above  quote . cast date (6C16) and assembly date ( 6C18P)
thank you
Richard.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:44:30 PM by austr6 »
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder