Author Topic: Accessory Door Sill Plates  (Read 1283 times)

Offline 5F08KGT

Accessory Door Sill Plates
« on: December 26, 2015, 08:10:27 AM »
I've got a real nice set of these (NEW) made by Shaffer Reproductions a while back.

Again, As in my other posts I happen to like the look of these, I've seen them on other folks cars over the years and am now going to install these on my '65 Convertible.

I'm not sure how they attach-I see holes for screws, but am unclear as to if they fit under, and use the same screws as the door trim plates....

IF additional holes are required I'll just cut off screws and glue the heads on, and use the 3m tape to install as I'm going to do with my gill mouldings.

Opinions?

Online 196667Bob

Re: Accessory Door Sill Plates
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
I too liked the look of these, and bought a set from my Ford Dealer in the late 70's and installed on my '66 Coupe. I then bought a set from my Dealer in the early 80's for my '67, which I will install on it after painting. Neither set came with any instructions. Being over 35 years ago that I installed them, as well as the fact that back then I didn't document things as well as I do now by pictures, I don't remember the exact installation process, other than I do remember having to remove and reinstall the standard sill plates. I can't remember if any of the Accessory mounting screws show, and unfortunately, my '66 isn't readily accessible to check.
If anyone replying to your post has installation instructions, I know that I, as well as you, would surely appreciate it if they would post it.

I have attached a "catalog cut" from the 1966 Accessory catalog as well of pictures of the NOS set I have for my '67.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 01:56:42 PM »
I too liked the look of these, and bought a set from my Ford Dealer in the late 70's and installed on my '66 Coupe. I then bought a set from my Dealer in the early 80's for my '67, which I will install on it after painting. Neither set came with any instructions. Being over 35 years ago that I installed them, as well as the fact that back then I didn't document things as well as I do now by pictures, I don't remember the exact installation process, other than I do remember having to remove and reinstall the standard sill plates. I can't remember if any of the Accessory mounting screws show, and unfortunately, my '66 isn't readily accessible to check.
If anyone replying to your post has installation instructions, I know that I, as well as you, would surely appreciate it if they would post it.

I have attached a "catalog cut" from the 1966 Accessory catalog as well of pictures of the NOS set I have for my '67.

Bob

I do not believe there were any directions for the dealer-installed accessory sill plates. They simply came with 4 stainless screws for the pair (2 screws each), the screws are very similar to a wheel well molding screw. There are two holes into the narrow part of the stainless sill plate, center of the "Z", placed sevreal inches from eeach end. You simply centered the accessory sill plate & drilled the 2 holes each into the rocker panel. Back in the day, we simply used a long-lost gift of common sense, we never read directions anyways, right  :o Yes, they fit under the factory sill plate but only pinched down with the factory sill plate (no holes) When installed on a 67 with rocker moldings, the lower edge meets the rocker molding. Again, only 2 screws per side were used.

I have seen aftermarket versions that only used two sided tape.(no holes) They look entirely different (to a trained eye) than the Ford versions.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:03:03 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Online 196667Bob

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »
Richard : Thanks for coming in with the info. I'm sure I used the "common sense" instructions when I installed mine on my '66 in the late 70's, and as I will do on my '67. Just trying to see if there ever were any instructions (as I mentioned, I never received any with either purchase from my Dealer "back in the day"), but I try to retain, or obtain, copies of the original Ford instruction sheets for all of my original Accessories, and that is one I've never seen, and probably never existed.
Thanks again,

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909