Author Topic: Anybody able to transfer oil filter housing to new filter?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline BillEBobb

Anybody able to transfer oil filter housing to new filter?
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »
I posted this question on VMF but basically was told to use a can opener.  I think this might be a great way to ruin a $35 reproduction filter.

MM discussed this topic recently and Murf and Jeff discussed it, but has anyone actually succeeded in accomplishing this fete?

Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Anybody able to transfer oil filter housing to new filter?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »
Haven't played with it in months - need to get on it for an up coming show, but have one that I can get the out can (the original part of the filter) about 70% on the new filter. Just a little more sanding and honing I should be good
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 01:20:20 PM »
Jeff, how did you get it (cover) off without totally ruining the metal, paint, etc?

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:28:09 AM »
I completely see the "need" to have a correct looking filter on an engine for showing purposes even if it means paying over $30.00 for it.

That said I still believe that (at least the '64.5s-'66s) had the filter painted along with the block at the factory, I would think the paint coverage wouldn't have been all that good as after all the filter was installed when everything was painted.
I personally think doing all the work to remove the outer cover from a reproduction filter is nonsense and we just need to find the source of the reproduction double crimp filters and buy them in bulk (blank) probably for under $5.00 each then paint block color.
I remember many years ago some of the private-label (off brands) of filters were double crimp and I really never paid any attention to them.
I think we all should start looking in odd places for these double crimp filters in older hometown type parts stores, western auto, pep boys, tractor supply, places like that-we might be surprised-after all SOMEONE IS making these filters for the supplier of the reproduction ones that are on the market.AND BTW the one pictured over on the VMF I believe is one of the currant $30.00 reproduction units that someone bought and painted and had a stamp made for and sold it for an incredible price on Ebay about 2 years ago AS AN ORIGINAL!!!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
For some applications the challenge is that there is not even a reproduction available

Here are some shots of a donor outer can and the small (foreign car) filter to illustrate what is being attempted

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)