Author Topic: Diameter of the factory assembly line frame supports?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Fullbasement

Diameter of the factory assembly line frame supports?
« on: March 25, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
I've got my 66 unibody on a dolly which has big rectangle plates that cover up the frame where the round unpainted support marks are. I plan to make some disc to slip over the post so when I paint the undercarriage it will leave the correct size circle unpainted.

If anyone can tell me what the correct diameter is of the factory support pad is, then I'll be able to make the disc up without having to lift the car up off my dolly just to inspect and measure what I can of the original marks.
Metuchen car if it matters.
1966 Metuchen built C-code coupe
    Vintage burgandy/black top & interior
1966 Metuchen built C-code convertible
    Candyapple Red/ black top/ red interior

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: Diameter of the factory assembly line frame supports?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »
I remembered Jeff article on this from years ago BUT STILL HAD TO SEARCH to find it! 
http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Articles/Article-DollyMarksCMF2018v4.pdf

I didn't look to see year specific info - but most will do wrong anyway so "everyone's car is correct in their opinion!"

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
Pretty sure the diameter and shaped changed as paint clung to or was chipped off by the line workers, with a "range of normal" around the size mentioned in Jeff's article.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Fullbasement

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:57:15 PM »
Thanks so much gentlemen
1966 Metuchen built C-code coupe
    Vintage burgandy/black top & interior
1966 Metuchen built C-code convertible
    Candyapple Red/ black top/ red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:33:59 PM »
Pretty sure the diameter and shaped changed as paint clung to or was chipped off by the line workers, with a "range of normal" around the size mentioned in Jeff's article.

Dolly "marks" can differ in size depending on year and plant from original examples. Often the reason for the different sizes can be traced back to workers repairing damaged upper or lower washer surfaces by apparently grabbing one that would work after the original or an earlier repaired one fell off or was torn off. Some ended up staying with the finished car  ::)

But with all that said the majority fell within the normal measurements and surprisingly there does not appear to be allot of paint build up on originals . Maybe there was a maintenance program that removed older paint build up at some point.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)