Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Desperate for a solvent for 3M Windo weld urethane.

<< < (2/4) > >>

mtinkham:
If you do use silicone, be sure to clean every last molecule from every surface before reassembling/sealing....by design, not much sticks to silicone.

SamG:
I've never had a problem with a new, USA-made single edge razor scratching windshield glass in normal use.  Keep the blades angle down close to the glass.  Swap to a new blade often. 

Mirrors are a different story...no razors on mirror glass.

They do make plastic razor blades for cleaning decals from sensitive glass...might be a little hard to find. 

SamG

WT8095:
Have you tried contacting 3M to get their recommendations for removal?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Support/Contact-Us/

P.S. silicone is not just a problem for getting new adhesive to stick to the glass. It will also cause problems when painting (fisheyes). And it migrates easily - in other words, you may use it on car A, but can be transferred to car B by handling parts or incidental contact. If car B is being prepped for paint, well you've got a problem...   In the disk drive industry I formerly worked in, silicone was not allowed ANYWHERE on the production floor, because of its tendency to migrate.

mtinkham:
Eight Barrel....I am curious as to how you made out with the urethane.  I am about to embark on installing front and rear glass on a 67 coupe.  I too saw the video that recommended the urethane between the rubber and glass and the 8509 between the body and rubber.

Anybody have any experience/recommendations for front/rear glass installation that would like to share?

Thanks in advance.
Mark

preaction:
I followed the CJ's video that used 3m strip chalk for between the glass and the gasket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version