Author Topic: '67 deluxe steering wheel not activating horn  (Read 1561 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 deluxe steering wheel not activating horn
« on: June 11, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »
The horns themselves work and the brass contacts also sound the horns,  but pressing the tabs on the steering wheel does not.  I understand the column can be adjusted closer to the wheel in an effort to make sure the rings are riding against the contacts.  Other than the firewall mounted clamp and the one under the dash, is there anything additional I need to loosen to try to move the column itself closer? 

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: '67 deluxe steering wheel not activating horn
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 05:26:10 PM »
...I understand the column can be adjusted closer to the wheel in an effort to make sure the rings are riding against the contacts.  Other than the firewall mounted clamp and the one under the dash, is there anything additional I need to loosen to try to move the column itself closer? 

EARLY & LATER differ some as do BIG BLOCK or SMALL BLOCK (basic questions needs answered, is your car a short shaft gear box or long shaft gear box.  If SHORT shaft type, is it wiith tilt or without)

I believe for the long shaft style (early small block cars w/o tilt), this question has been answered in other threads. If you have the short shaft gear box that was used on Big Blocks (all), Tilt Columns (all) and the late-67's and 68's (all) then we can address you question easier once known.

You could also have problems inside of the steering wheel itself.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:24:38 PM »
No tilt(swing away)long shaft, no rag joint (one piece with steering box).  The turn signal cancel cam is in tact and there are no broken pieces.  The brass pins are also in tact and activate the horns when jumped with a wire.  I'm thinking the rings are not contacting the pins.  Maybe I'll put a little vasoline on the pins and see if it transfers to the rings so I know if they are contacting.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:27:31 PM by socalgt »

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »
Problem found....not solved.  The  spring on the pin that the outer ring contacts appears to have broke and what's left is not enough to keep the pin against the ring.  I assume I'll have to  replace the complete turn signal cancel cam to fix the problem.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:26:56 PM »
Turns out the spring from a pen is the perfect size....wound it onto the contact pin and it works fine now.  Feels like the same pressure as on the other pin.  Sure beats replacing the whole switch/cam.