Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Fastback Interior Panel Paint Removal and Restoration

<< < (2/5) > >>

1967 eight barrel:
I had a similar issue. The Easy off in the yellow can didn't touch them. I even tried a stripper that was specific for fibreglass. I elected to use the low pressure plastic media method. It worked very well on the panels and the fold down seat assembly. The issue with blasting is something Jeff and I mentioned.
It removed the surface coat on the glass. The panels soaked up an immense amount of paint to get good coverage, but also left hair of the glass in the finish. It prompted me to knock the fuzz down with 600 paper and spray another light coat.
As suggested by Jeff, if you can get it off without media blasting, do it. NEVER use glass or sand.

midlife:
The Easy-Off Oven Cleaner works well, but you have to buy the right version.  The Heavy Duty version and then you have to check the ingredients list to find lye.  That's the one you can use. 

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Off-Oven-Cleaner-Heavy-Aerosol/dp/B001SJB5TW

1967 eight barrel:
Randy:
Yellow can has Lye, the blue can is worthless for our use..

DKutz:
The easy off didn't do a great job for me.  I ended up using an orange solvent paint stripper from Home Depot that was recommended on a forum.  That worked pretty well.

Bossbill:
The yellow can of Easy Off does not currently contain lye. That's why using straight up lye doesn't work.

The ingredient list in order of ingredient percentage:
Water
Butane (propellant)
Sodium Hydroxide
Diethylene Glycol
Monobutyl Ether
Solvent
Ethanolamine
Akuminum Magnesium
Silicate
Thickener
Paraffin wax
Fragarance
Stearic acid
Carnuba Wax
Triethanolamine

This stuff is not highly popular so you can get low propellant cans. Home Depot carries it as does Amazon.

You can shorten up the time between coats by placing an infrared heater above it and covering it with plastic film. I adjust the height of the heater to give no more than 135* on the surface.

Still, this is ugly, messy, disgusting work and it still takes a lot of time. Don't get it on your shoes and walk in the house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version