Author Topic: '65 FACTORY GT POWER STEERING CONVERSION  (Read 1729 times)

Offline socalgt

'65 FACTORY GT POWER STEERING CONVERSION
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:41:04 PM »
Can the original, manual steering box on a '65 factory GT be used with a power steering conversion or does it need to be replaced?

Offline Richard P.

Re: '65 FACTORY GT POWER STEERING CONVERSION
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:17:18 AM »
You can use the manual steering gear box with the power steering setup however the turning ratio won't be the same.   

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »
The HCC-AX and HCC-AW steering boxes are the same ratio.  I would say it would be fine to use the AX steering box with power steering added. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Building 3

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »
The GT package included the faster ratio steering gear.  This is the same steering ratio as the power steering gear. The preloads were set differently at the factory but as one rebuilder told me: "I set them all the same, sonny." If you don't have the metal tag still attached to the box to check the number for the fast ratio steering (HCC-AX for manual and HCC-AW for power) you can turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Less than 4 turns will be the fast gear, and more like 5 turns will be the slower standard gear. If you have not done so already you should have the steering box rebuilt and the same with the suspension.  Doing those two things transformed my car.  It is a pleasure to drive now. Now if for some reason, you have the slower gear, adding power to it will make the steering feel very light. You will be able to turn the steering wheel with one finger. I have driven two cars with the power conversion without the steering gear change and the light feel was not to my liking. Other might like it however. I never have figured out if Ford included the gear in the dealer installed PS kit, or if they recommended it, or if they were indifferent to the dealer installation.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:22:10 PM »
The preloads were set differently at the factory but as one rebuilder told me: "I set them all the same, sonny."
Just as I was told by one of the guys at Straight Line Steering in San Jose, CA (only I was older than he was, so he said "sir").
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
Thanks for the good information...

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »
The torque setting is very low on the steering shaft bearings, if I remember right, it's inch-lbs or just a couple foot lbs.  As mentioned, I can't imagine the pre-load difference being much.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 10:56:23 PM »
You can use the manual steering gear box with the power steering setup however the turning ratio won't be the same.   
Sorry my reference wasn't about the quick steering ratios gear boxes.  It was strictly about standard manual steering boxes.