Author Topic: '67 heater hose connections 289 with a/c  (Read 1123 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 heater hose connections 289 with a/c
« on: September 14, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
My manual isn't the easiest to read, but appears to show the hose from the H2O pump to the left heater core tube, the right tube to the heater valve and the heater valve to the intake fitting.  I just want to verify that as I read an article (another website) warning high pressure to the heater core can damage it.) I have also seen pictures with the hose from the H2O pump(big block) directly to the heater valve and assumed it was incorrect.  I only want to do this once.   

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:08:17 PM by socalgt »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '67 heater hose connections 289 with a/c
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:29:10 PM »
Pictures are not going to be much help here as 98% of the cars have had the hoses changed. Looking at them I do find theme routed both ways so not sure of the whole "you'll damage the core" thing as I'm not aware that the period core has anything but tubes and fins, not directional valves and in a pressurized container the pressures would be fairly equal through the whole assembly. Just my logic - sure one of the engineers will happen by

As a side note a number of these hoses were preformed hoses (which ones depends on when the car was built) rather than cut bulk hoses

On a number of low mileage 67 small block cars the passenger side heater connection hooked up and through the valve and then to the water pump - and the inside/driverside heater connection attached to the intake fitting.

Should be a drawing of the suggested routing in one of the 67 assembly manuals just not in the ones I've got here

Just to mention below is a factory picture from the same period - though a FE engine and the water pump is again routed to the water flow valve it appears. Looks to possibly be a 67 model

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 07:48:51 PM »
Here's my thoughts on heater hose routing by the choke. There are two different sets of pictures (different engines) available, one has the hose from the manifold going thru a retainer at the choke housing then to the lower fitting on the heater, the return hose from the heater goes to the water pump; the other sets have the hose from the top heater fitting to the retainer at the choke housing then to the water pump, the manifold fitting hose does not go to the choke but still goes to the lower heater fitting.
Here's what happens. The hose from the manifold to the choke has hot engine water in it, the choke will disengage quicker than the hose coming from the top fitting of the heater as the "heat" has been used in the heater so the hot water is now warm, and the choke will take longer to disengage. There are probable several TSBs and/or assembly line instructions about the hose routing. My personal preference is to have the choke disengage quickly, it's a California thing. In cold climates (there are some in California called the Sierras), a longer choke engagement would be preferable for proper engine operation. Your call.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »
All good information....my '67 original Autolite carb does not use the heater hose to disengage the choke, so it would not need to be routed between the valve cover and carb.  I hooked them up as close as possible to the picture in the factory(Osborn) assembly manual, even thought that picture includes the emission system.  As I've said before, I've realized how easy it is to restore C2 corvettes to original configuration using the many books and illustrations available.  These Mustangs are much more difficult to try to copy factory installations...maybe one reason  so many are modified to various degrees. 

Thanks...