Author Topic: '67 driver's side remote mirror installation  (Read 2698 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 driver's side remote mirror installation
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:48:59 PM »
On the deluxe door panel, does the mirror's mounting hardware(special retaining washer and outer bezel nut)actually mount to the aluminum trim on the deluxe door panel, as opposed to sandwiching the door panel itself?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:34:56 AM by socalgt »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: '67 driver's side remote mirror installation
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:10:14 AM »
It will "sandwich" the door panel & outer brushed trim
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »
With the original mirror control knob and a reproduction deluxe door panel, there isn't enough thread coming through the panel to screw on the bezel nut unless some of the door panel backing is removed...(at least the pressed board backing), and then it will barely catch the first thread, but enough to screw it on.  The threaded portion of the control knob is only about 3/8".  Any way, that's with a reproduction door panel, maybe an original one is constructed differently or altered at the factory during installation.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 07:08:47 PM »
With the original mirror control knob and a reproduction deluxe door panel, there isn't enough thread coming through the panel to screw on the bezel nut unless some of the door panel backing is removed...(at least the pressed board backing), and then it will barely catch the first thread, but enough to screw it on.  The threaded portion of the control knob is only about 3/8".  Any way, that's with a reproduction door panel, maybe an original one is constructed differently or altered at the factory during installation.

I haven't tried attaching my mirror control to my reproduction door panels...I am now getting the feeling I could be in the same boat since there was NOTHING easy about getting ANYTHING on these panels I bought to work out without hours of fightin >:(  (not to mention one looks bowed like a banana *sorta* and I figured I'd have to heat it up to bow it back flat already)

Really getting tired of fighting EVERYTHING aftermarket...rather depressing for the hobby >:(
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:39:44 PM »
Unfortunately it appears that finding original, used  parts  in good enough condition to want to use for these cars is very rare...at least in regard to interior parts....  I've had good success for wiring and mechanical, and they are plentiful.

Offline bazza

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:39:10 AM »
I haven't tried attaching my mirror control to my reproduction door panels...I am now getting the feeling I could be in the same boat since there was NOTHING easy about getting ANYTHING on these panels I bought to work out without hours of fightin >:(  (not to mention one looks bowed like a banana *sorta* and I figured I'd have to heat it up to bow it back flat already)

Really getting tired of fighting EVERYTHING aftermarket...rather depressing for the hobby >:(
What brand of panel are you and socalgt using? I've gotta go thru this soon.
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »
What brand of panel are you and socalgt using? I've gotta go thru this soon.

Dashes Direct with a Scott Drake label
Richard Urch

Offline socalgt

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »
My panels are TMI and they appear willing to help with any problems.  Unless the hardboard backing is removed the mirror can't be installed...also...the pre punched hole on the back side for the mirror doesn't  line up with the hole in the aluminum trim, so wait until the trim is installed and use it as a guide for where to actually remove the board backing.

Offline bazza

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 02:19:27 AM »
Thanks for the info, it seems that problems exist with most brands.
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline Z67Fback

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 09:25:41 PM »
I think I am missing the special retaining washer to hold the bezel nut down on the deluxe door panel.Anyone have a picture on what special retaining washer look like and how it is assembled>

Thank you in advance for any and all information!
1967 Fastback, C Code, 4 Sp MT, 7T02C226959 Build Date 4/11/67. Built in Metuchen, NJ