Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Cougar 1967-73

Cougar - May 7 69 Build. Need help, messed up...

<< < (2/3) > >>

69428SCJ:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 09, 2016, 02:17:56 AM ---
It was applied I think more of an extension (that year and plant) of the red oxide application to the unibody - mainly radiation support rear surface rearward. We see allot of bare steel when the black was not applied in a good coat on the face of the radiator support, sides of hood bumper supports and so on. Appears that it just faded away (no masking) or that is where they started flowing paint.

So if it is visible on the finished car I yet to find a red oxide primer in a can that isn't flat . Looking for something that has a smooth and slightly glossy finished look. Yes you can start with Ditzler/PPG epoxy primer sealer DP74LF and tint from there to find a match.

--- End quote ---

That clears up quite a bit then, thanks for the paint number. For clarification, my rattle can comment question was more in line with wondering whether or not rattle canning the axle produces an acceptable shade and sheen, or if there was a more appropriate spray gun mixture.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 09, 2016, 11:55:43 PM ---That clears up quite a bit then, thanks for the paint number. For clarification, my rattle can comment question was more in line with wondering whether or not rattle canning the axle produces an acceptable shade and sheen, or if there was a more appropriate spray gun mixture.

--- End quote ---

You can get a respectable finish out of a rattle can for the rear axle housing though a paint for the spray gun with hardener will hold up better in the long run and maintain that slight gloss rather than going flatter

For the paint check locally since regulations differ allot across the country and in other countries a suggest that is legal to buy and spray in one part is possibly unavailable in another.

69428SCJ:
Doing some "carcheology" tonight and discovered the paint on my coil springs. I'm not sure what colors I'm looking at, robin egg blue and yellow? I'm hoping y'all can help me out with this. I don't have a data sheet to guide me on this one so I'm at a disadvantage. I'll be posting my leafs soon as I'm the same boat with those.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 25, 2017, 08:22:27 PM ---Doing some "carcheology" tonight and discovered the paint on my coil springs. I'm not sure what colors I'm looking at, robin egg blue and yellow? I'm hoping y'all can help me out with this. I don't have a data sheet to guide me on this one so I'm at a disadvantage. I'll be posting my leafs soon as I'm the same boat with those.

--- End quote ---

Best guess I can provide is a couple of partial possibilities based on a couple of buildsheets from similar 69 Cougars

Three stripes  Most likely

Light Blue - Light Blue - and a third color I don't know the conversion (letters to color) of but its not yellow or white

Identified as "LN" so possibly Light - Something 

69428SCJ:
After discussing it with Mike_B_SVT, all the R-code Eliminators he has build sheets for have Gold/Gray listed as the front spring colors. I've attached a picture of after considerably deeper cleaning. Now comes the next challenges with attached pictures:

The leafs. They look yellow/yellow but the bottom one might be tan?

The motor mounts, I see this pinkish red color on many of my other parts (tie rod adjusting sleeve), but I had no idea I'd see all these colors on the mounts.

One adjusting sleeve, and center link had just a white daub on it?

Steering box and Pitman arm, painted black? I thought they were both supposed to be natural finish...

I apologize if these questions are nonsensical or if the answers are more nuanced than straight forward. I've spent countless hours on this site bookmarking every single thread I could about suspension coloring and didn't see anything specifically relevant to my car. I don't know if these marks are unique to my car or there is some predictability to what's on my car based on build date/engine/suspension type.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version