Author Topic: 67 FB dark saddle carpet  (Read 532 times)

Offline Crgjohnson

67 FB dark saddle carpet
« on: October 18, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
Looking for vendor recommendations on a 67 FB dark saddle mass backed carpet. I see NPD sells a dark brown carpet but I am unsure if this is the correct application for a dark saddle.  Mustangs Unlimited has discontinued the dark saddle carpet. Thanks

Craig
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 FB dark saddle carpet
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »
There are only one or maybe two makers of the carpet I believe from which the vendors sell. Because of this you often don't have allot of choice for some colors. With that said are you also searching for what was the original color used?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »
Thanks Jeff. The carpet that I removed was the original and it was dark saddle.  I’ve just been having trouble finding vendors and actually stock this. Maybe I’ll just call ACC directly and see what they say

Craig
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »
Thanks Jeff. The carpet that I removed was the original and it was dark saddle.  I’ve just been having trouble finding vendors and actually stock this. Maybe I’ll just call ACC directly and see what they say

Not sure if this will work - plenty has changed since the family sold the company years ago - but if they will look through the colors offered for other cars and see if the samples online are closer to what your looking for and ask if they will send you a small sample of that. Maybe a couple to see in person and compare.  Make sure its the same type of pile also while your at it.

You use to be able to get carpet from a different car that they made put into the Mustang press and be trimmed for the Mustang application. Did this years ago when I was building the Fiberfab ET Mustang and wanted a Corvette (changed the interior to a grey) plush sort of carpet.  Did the same for the headliner as I got Acme to make the headliner out of cloth that was used on a Cadillac

See if that will help

Earlier thread related to that color of interior

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17095.msg107475#msg107475
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »
The only color for a saddle interior is the dark saddle, which is dark brown. You might try contacting ACC direct and ask for a sample. I think they call it tobacco. That is 68 info, please check to make sure 67 is the same

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
 It is called tobacco but in my view it is still lighter than original dark saddle carpet. I think it’s the closest that the manufacturer. When you used to order under dark saddle it was as a golden brown and was way off   Also as a FYI I have seen several original saddle interior cars (both nj 68 convertibles) that had black carpet
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 12:50:23 PM »
I have a 67 San Jose GTA convertible with a deluxe saddle interior. Here is a section of the dark saddle carpet with the Ford paper tag. I found my carpet at Motor South Carpet. They had a near perfect match in color and quality. I latter tried to buy another carpet from them and I found out that Auto Custom Carpets bought them out. Their carpets are not of the same quality. I guess that is one way to succeed in business, buy out the competition.   

Offline tobkob

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »
I guess that is one way to succeed in business, buy out the competition.
Unfortunately that seems to be the business model these days. It must be cheaper than improving the quality of their own product. >:(

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.