1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

1966 289 A code, auto, with smog, a/c and Autolite 6ZE hot idle compensator

<< < (2/4) > >>

67350#1242:
The 4100's on thermactor cars - C6ZF-D  and C6ZF-E had the hot idle compensator built into the air horn as the OP states.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: 67350#1242 on May 21, 2017, 09:44:23 AM ---The 4100's on thermactor cars - C6ZF-D  and C6ZF-E had the hot idle compensator built into the air horn as the OP states.

--- End quote ---
You are correct. After a bit of looking in the MPC, those two California smog carburetors have built in hot idle compensators. The base numbers, 9B532 and 9B567 for hot idle compensators, are listed as being used on them.

--- Quote from: jwc66k on May 21, 2017, 12:17:16 AM ---It's typical of carburetor rebuild shops to "just have" one rebuilt that will work "just fine" on your 66.

--- End quote ---
When I bought my 65 GT Fastback with an AT, it had a C6ZF-9500-D carburetor without a hot idle compensator. I bought a C5ZF-D to replace it, and swapped the C6ZF-D for some other stuff. Never gave a thought about it. When I bought my 66 Hardtop "A" code, it had a 4100 1.12 for a 390 with a hot idle compensator so I'm familiar with the item. I bought a rebuilt carburetor from Pony Carbs as a replacement. The vacuum "tube" in the top cover for the secondary actuation circuit on the 390 4100 was broke at the center of the carb so it was tossed in a junk pile. 
The point is - DON'T believe what you see as accurate, check. In this case, the MPC is your friend (if you have and take the time).
Jim

67350#1242:
I expect a lot of mixing and matching was done at the rebuilders, especially the big production operations over the years.  It is probably good advise to also check the numbers on the bottom of the booster venturis to see if they match the original spec since they are detachable parts.
Kurt.

socalgt:
The Bob Mannel book indicates all automatics had a spacer in the PCV to Carb hose and it was replaced with the compensator valve if a/c was installed.  I just don't want to hunt one down and install it if it wasn't used in conjunction with the Autolite 4100 6ZF(California emission carb) that already has one.

lancelot66:
I did both, based primarily on what I found in Bob's book & reference. The compensator in the carb was always there but the one in the PCV was long gone when I purchased this car in '87. The one in the PVC, as I understand the research, adjusts engine idle when it's overheating because of outside conditions and A/C running. In SO CAL, when I lived down there, it certainly was experienced but I had no idea at that time this was used by Ford. I have not since that time, exposed or driven our car under these same conditions, but I'm ready for it now, especially if we drive over to Eastern Washington in the summer or on steep grades in general. Should be interesting...!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version