Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Restoring "chrome" stipe on standard door panels

<< < (2/2)

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: tim_morrison82 on May 30, 2017, 10:28:30 AM ---is there any way to take these bits off and chrome them with that new spray on chrome stuff??

has anyone removed it and successfully fixed it back into place?

--- End quote ---

They were heat "sunk" into the panels.  Would be better to mask if trying to paint, but I haven't seen a paint that can duplicate the chrome appearance exactly.

ruppstang:

--- Quote from: caspian65 on May 30, 2017, 10:21:08 AM ---Try chrome pin striping.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+pin+stripe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=chrome+pinstripe&tbm=shop

--- End quote ---

Thanks I will have to give it a try.

J_Speegle:
There is very thin film that is used to chrome model car bumpers (allot thinner and plyable than the tapes) but the problem I see is that I couldn't find it in longer lengths and would leave very fine seams ever so often

Think the paint for the chrome takes a fair amount of build up (could be wrong) to get the look but anything is worth a try on a set of test panels. IF you try take some pictures to share even if it doesn't work ;)

1969 Cale II:
Jeff is talking about Bare Metal Foil, get it at most good hobby stores that sell model cars. I have used it on my car along with plenty of model cars. Also find it on the inter web . I always thought about asking the maker if it could be bought in custom longer sheets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version