Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

voltage regulator review and rubber ink stamping

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on May 31, 2017, 09:24:39 AM ---Curious why your reproduction example looks to have WHITE ink stamping. (just an observation)

A quick search of reproductions from a few popular sites include these images. It looks like several use the AMK image in their online catalogs. I've only included one image of those examples.

--- End quote ---
Most likely you are seeing silver and not white. C5AF is silver and C5TF is yellow. C5AF is for use with 38/42 amp alternator and C5TF is for 55 amp alt.

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 31, 2017, 02:56:55 AM ---Jim I am surprised to see a generator regulator blue color given they were pre 65. Is that because it is a service part made post 67? I figured it would be black in the same way the alternator regulators transitioned from black to blue in 67. I have not studied generator regulators.

--- End quote ---

+1 and also I would expect a FoMoCo script instead of Autolite.  Also thought that generator Mustangs used a 30A regulator, but have not checked if 25A is correct for an I6.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 31, 2017, 02:56:55 AM ---Jim I am surprised to see a generator regulator blue color given they were pre 65. Is that because it is a service part made post 67? I figured it would be black in the same way the alternator regulators transitioned from black to blue in 67. I have not studied generator regulators.

--- End quote ---
It's a service part.

--- Quote from: caspian65 on May 31, 2017, 10:28:37 AM ---+1 and also I would expect a FoMoCo script instead of Autolite.  Also thought that generator Mustangs used a 30A regulator, but have not checked if 25A is correct for an I6.

--- End quote ---
I think you're right about the FOMOCO. The 64 Mustang Electric Assembly Manual lists C2DF-10505-A regulator for 6 cylinder engine generator applications, and a C2AF-10505-A regulator for V8 engine generators.
As I stated - it's "progress", and it has come to a halt. My initial thoughts were could I take a scan of the marking and make a stamp from it using my archaic 20 year old Photoshop software.
Jim

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: ruppstang on May 31, 2017, 09:00:23 AM ---John the inspection marks are interesting, I will have to check some of mine.

--- End quote ---

Not unusual (depending on year/time period) to find a date, one or more slashes, daubs and other markings other than the identification one

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on May 31, 2017, 09:24:39 AM ---A quick search of reproductions from a few popular sites include these images. It looks like several use the AMK image in their online catalogs. I've only included one image of those examples.

--- End quote ---

Pictures of my repro AMK purchased about a year ago. Notice the crappy alignment of the contact points  >:(
Also, if compared to the images of the OE example in John's PDF, you will notice several other differences such as the head of the screws (smaller), relays, underside components and so on.

The cover looks good.

The base looks good at a glance.

I have to wonder how well it will last. Originals didnt last very well, perhaps why Ford switched over later service part replacements to the electronic/solid-state versions.

It is easy to understand the OP's desire to use an OE FoMoCo version as opposed to any of the repros available because we already know the repros are failing faster than you can change them. Like the starter solenoids...it would be nice to have somebody build a reliable, correct-appearing reproduction. I intend to occasionally drive my restored 67 more than on and off of a trailer, requiring a battery charger on stand-by to have it pass muster at a show.

If anyone in the Parts Business might be reading this...perhaps consider building an example that looks as good as this amk product does that perhaps has the solid-state internals of the later service Replacements that Ford was selling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version