Author Topic: '68 8 Inch Dropout Carrier Colors  (Read 1058 times)

Offline 1968Cally

'68 8 Inch Dropout Carrier Colors
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:14:30 PM »
I just received my 8 inch rebuilt center section from Quick Performance for My '68 San Jose Car. Now I need to paint it and want it to be "correct." I know that the carrier housing is painted a "red oxide." Although I plan to (after the primer) paint it with Rustoleum Heritage Red Satin. I have read that is closer to the correct color and sheen. I also will paint the yoke with Duplicolor "Cast Iron"

My question is about the pinion retainer - the housing that retains the pinion gear shaft and has the snubber "hood" on it. Should that be painted Cast Iron or the red of the carrier? I have seen through various pictures done both ways. Although I can't find any verbiage about it on multiple forums. Most of the threads have seen are about the 9 inch rears.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '68 8 Inch Dropout Carrier Colors
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 12:12:08 AM »
No sure that Rustoleum Heritage Red Satin will provide the best or closest look when compared to the original paint used but you wil likely get a pass in a judging situation if that is what matters

The 68 8" rearend pinion retainer incorporates an extension above where the yoke is attached and it would have been painted the same color as the rearend center section (3rd member) or close to it. The pinion retainer would have also had freshly machined surfaces that you would want to reproduce also as your restoring the unit.

Also not sure how your going to replicate the pinion seal shield with rattle cans or paint.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »
Thanks, Jeff.  I knew about the machined surface and have that taped off.  I will brush on some clear paint when all the other painting is done.  As far as the pinion seal shield seal retainer goes, it is kind of a shiny almost chrome looking surface.  I have it taped of and a piece of rope stuffed in between it and the pinion retainer to keep paint from going into the seal area.  I may just dull that a little with steel wool and clear coat that as well when done with the spraying.

While my car is quite correct, I do not plan on doing MCA shows with it as i do drive it some.  I had my '66 coupe and first GTCS entered in the concours trailered class at about five MCA shows in the early 2000s.  I did well with those cars but now, I am kind of past that.  But, I do like things correct.  I am doing this project as the rear was groaning. Just finished putting on a Dead Nuts On Alternator.  Next up is replacing the Bendix booster with a correct Midland booster.     
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 01:00:29 PM »
I just received my 8 inch rebuilt center section from Quick Performance for My '68 San Jose Car. Now I need to paint it and want it to be "correct." I know that the carrier housing is painted a "red oxide." Although I plan to (after the primer) paint it with Rustoleum Heritage Red Satin. I have read that is closer to the correct color and sheen. I also will paint the yoke with Duplicolor "Cast Iron"

My question is about the pinion retainer - the housing that retains the pinion gear shaft and has the snubber "hood" on it. Should that be painted Cast Iron or the red of the carrier? I have seen through various pictures done both ways. Although I can't find any verbiage about it on multiple forums. Most of the threads have seen are about the 9 inch rears.

Thanks in advance.
One more question.  Should the fill plug be natural or painted with the case color?
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 05:58:02 PM »
From a San Jose example

Filler plug bare steel with a darker sealant in this example that ran to what looks like the rear and outward once mounted in the housing. Suggestign that the 3rd member was setting up right (yoke or pinion straight up) when it was installed

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)