1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

Non-Red Oxide Undercarriage Discussion - Sept/Oct 69 NJ

<< < (2/5) > >>

J_Speegle:
So looked at the few pictures I have from that plant and time period there does appears that a number of things were going on for some reason. We really don't need IMHO to know what was going on or why but instead document what was done and try and honestly represent that in restoring cars from that plant and period

Since we don't know the order or exactly when these examples were really built their specific VINs do not matter since we can put them in order of assembly . 

So the earliest example I have pictures of this area from is 0T1028xx. Pinkish but not grey like your car

Another example - not like what you found on your car it appears  - 0T1082xx

J_Speegle:
Now the last car I have that was possibly built at the same time or very near your car -0T1094xx

Only one picture of the car - but still trying to figure out what it tells us. Its difficult to tell the order of layers (bare metal, black or very dark color, exterior light blue and the light gray primer color.  But this example does not appear to show any red oxide variation anywhere on this rear section

Will try and lable and post another color for discussion

70BlackMach1:
Jeff,

I apologize.  The picture you show of the parking cable bracket is actually from my car.  I submitted it in another post and didn't realize I inserted the wrong picture.  The colors on it are not correct.  I had my camera on the wrong setting.  The bracket is laying on a green drafting table.  As you can see the table is not green. 

Attached here is the picture representing the real color of that same bracket.  The camera settings are correct for this one as you can see the drafting table is green.  This bracket fell off the floor pan before I had the car stripped.  I wire brushed the rust off of it.  As you can see, it better resembles the gray of the other pictures of the car. 

Sorry for the bad picture.

Barry

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 70BlackMach1 on July 24, 2017, 10:27:02 PM ---I apologize.  The picture you show of the parking cable bracket is actually from my car.  I submitted it in another post and didn't realize I inserted the wrong picture.  The colors on it are not correct.  I had my camera on the wrong setting.  The bracket is laying on a green drafting table.  As you can see the table is not green. 

--- End quote ---

Guess this is a great example of why one can not trust what we see posted on the internet when it comes to colors, tones and tints.

You have likely seen  the picture of the aqua car before so let us discuss that one. Unfortunately we only have a single picture and one of low resolution Probelm I/m having is from just the one angle its difficult to see if the light gray is over or under other colors.

For discussion purposes I labeled finishes, coatings and such

Dark green - The light gray
Red - Sound deadener or undercoating
Purple - Bare steel/sheet metal?
Orange - Exterior color overspray. Allot of this car.
Blue - Is this signs of repair and brazing?
Light green - Is this chipping of the top coat exposing what is under - through the light gray applied to the frame rail and area.

As you can make out the wheel wells on this example also have gray pretty heavy in the wheel wells

You can make out the areas where someone has been scrapping with a pulley knife or similar plastic blade. Likely removing the undercoating and exposing the body color under in the area just behind the shock mount support

Keep getting the feeling I'm missing something, a sign or a point, in the picture that would provide a clue to what took place

On your car we had a couple of areas where it seemed it was much darker than other areas.

70BlackMach1:
Wow, there is a lot going on here.

So, I assume the order of application on this car was:

1) Gray primer on undercarriage
2) Gray primer in wheel wells
3) Sound deadener on undercarriage after axle and brake hardware but before driveshaft and exhaust
4) Sound deadener in wheel well after installation of suspension and axle
5) Body color with overspray on undercarriage
6) Engine compartment black (not discussed here)

I need to apply the sound deadener on the undercarriage since my car is a Mach 1?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version