Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Fuse Box Lettering - How did they do it?

<< < (4/4)

Bossbill:
Do note that these Deco pens are available in oil based or acrylic formula.
Oil would require a thinner -- acrylic is water based.

My wife has an extensive collection of paint brushes and paints for various hobbies.
I had dozens of brushes to pick from as well as dozens of paints.
I used a small hobby (like model car) brush and an acrylic paint.

If you have to buy something these look like a good deal. If I looked in a different drawer I might have found these!

suskeenwiske:
A few things to note:

1) Oil Based works better on Chromed Metal Surfaces, such as Heater Control Knobs.

2) Be careful how much pressure you use to apply the paint. It prevents premature wear to the tip of the Marker and provides greater uniformity.

3) Sometimes it takes a couple of applications to get the results you need.

Ray

midlife:
I played around with the ink process, and found that the majority of the early fuse boxes that I have have raised letters, not recessed letters.  I guess there were at least two suppliers during this time.

mtinkham:
Is it possible that the factory did the marking and embossed lettering all in one operation....like hot stamping? It would be fast and could be automated. We do hot stamping here at work, but it is typically done on a raised surface. But, I would think that with the right set of dies, the operation could do both...just throwing it out there for consideration...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version