Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Fuse Box Lettering - How did they do it?

<< < (2/4) > >>

J_Speegle:
Ran across a couple of people that were using Liquid Paper years ago, Guess it might not be a good choice if you lived in a humid climate

For those that are not old enough to remember the stuff  ::) This was correcting liquid to correct typing errors on paper when we use to use those things. Originally invented by the mother of one of the members of a famous  TV musical band of the 60's

midlife:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on October 14, 2017, 05:58:18 PM ---Ran across a couple of people that were using Liquid Paper years ago, Guess it might not be a good choice if you lived in a humid climate

For those that are not old enough to remember the stuff  ::) This was correcting liquid to correct typing errors on paper when we use to use those things. Originally invented by the mother of one of the members of a famous  TV musical band of the 60's

--- End quote ---
Yup, the Monkees' Michael Nesmith.  The inventor was Bette Nesmith Graham.

Bossbill:
Reconditioning my fuse box for me?  ;)

midlife:

--- Quote from: Bossbill on October 14, 2017, 08:04:52 PM ---Reconditioning my fuse box for me?  ;)

--- End quote ---
No...there's not enough money in your bank account for me to do that!  Dammit, Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a painter! 

I'm just curious.

I thought that the manufacturers of the boxes would dip each one into a wet wax pan to just cover the surface, let dry.  Then dip it in a bit deeper pan of white paint, let dry,  Then apply a bit of heat or go back to the first pan to wet the wax and wash off.  If they did this, I would expect to see a bit of white paint into the fuse receptacles themselves, so that's not the way they did this.  I still think a huge workbench of school lunch ladies working carefully to apply white paint with needles is a more interesting image...

Silk screening?

drummingrocks:
But if it was silk screened, would there still be a need for recessed letters?  Seems like the silk screening would wear off because the letters would be slightly raised from the surface of the box itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version