Author Topic: build sheet 67 SJ  (Read 2903 times)

Offline 67gta289

build sheet 67 SJ
« on: July 11, 2010, 08:58:12 AM »
Can anyone share some build sheet examples to help me figure out various color markings for my car?  Unfortunately mine was under wet carpet for a long time and is worthless.  I've got the front springs identified with purple and yellow stripes, but everything else thus far turns out to have been previously sandblasted.  I figure that with several examples from 67 SJ cars I can piece things together.

I'm specifically looking for info on a Dec 66 built fastback, GTA, 289-2V, PS, PDB, thermactor, no air, no competition handling package, 2.79 open axle.

Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: build sheet 67 SJ
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:52:13 PM »
John,

I seriously doubt you are going to get any hits on this as there are no known examples of build sheets in any San Jose built cars from the start of production up through 1969. I believe Jeff S may have a 1-2 1970 San Jose build sheets.

I do not have access to the basic spring and shock identification marking with me, but Jeff may be able to look them up. I believe your shock marking are gold for the GT without competition suspension.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:00:31 AM »
As Pete mentioned San Jose build sheets are pretty rare. Believe they were handled differently at that plant than Dearborn and NJ where you can find multiple copies of the same sheet in the car.

Because of this I think I have about 2 dozen spanning 67-70 production. Very, very few compared to the hundreds of the examples from other plants

IMHO you should be able to use the same codes (best bet given you current situation) from cars exactly like yours built at the other two plants. Just make sure they were built at the same time to take into consideration all the running changes ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 08:03:07 AM »
Jeff & Pete,

Thanks for the education.  I did find my build sheet in 1981, below the carpet behind the driver's seat.  It was soaking wet and most of the ink had disappeared.

Pete, I have an earlier post with pictures of both coil springs, and they have a purple and yellow (yellow could be gold I suppose) 3/8 to 1/2" wide stripe along with a wide splattered spray can effect shot of white.  Jeff informed me previously that the white was most likely applied during the testing process where springs were matched in pairs.

Looking at a sample I found on the internet, I suppose I need help with the following paint codes for a 67 fastback 289-2V GTA, any plant, ~Dec 66, PS, PDB, thermactor, no air, no competition handling, 2.79 open 8" axle:

1. Rear springs
2. Front shocks
3. Rear shocks
4. Drive shaft

Any help would be greatly appreciated. John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:01:23 PM »
This message is for Jeff S since he mentioned that he has build sheets for Dearborn and Metuchen built cars. I am really looking for a copy of a build sheet for a 68 Dearborn built 390 GT. Mine happens to be a late summer of 68 vert but I don't think much would change on the chassis in the way of markings between the body styles or the time of year.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »
This message is for Jeff S since he mentioned that he has build sheets for Dearborn and Metuchen built cars. I am really looking for a copy of a build sheet for a 68 Dearborn built 390 GT.

Sorry looked through what I have and no 68 convertible examples  except for the Shelby examples

Mine happens to be a late summer of 68 vert but I don't think much would change on the chassis in the way of markings between the body styles or the time of year.

Really have to disagree based on other examples we have. It is typical for things like springs to be different between different body types and we have examples were things like springs were changed during the model year. Also consider the method used to mark the different parts can often vary between time periods and plants. - Lots of details to get either correct or incorrect

Can't suggest enough the importance of getting the right info - remember that once its on your car you are responsible IMHO for everyone that copies those marks from your car. :(

There are enough people taking marks from one car and applying them to another (often resulting in lost of points at a show) without the owner starting off with the incorrect marks

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:27:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
Well I was hoping to see a build sheet as part of my investigation. I did find a build sheet for a 68 302 2v convert out of Metuchen in a junk yard excursion years ago but figured it would be useless for me so that is why I asked you. Might you know someone else who may have what i am looking for? Thanks.