Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

289 / 302 block casting

<< < (3/3)

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: NEFaurora on December 22, 2017, 12:50:46 PM ---Anyone have a pic of this flat area in question???

:o)

Tony K.

--- End quote ---

Below are some pictures of a July 67 final assembly date 289 engine. No VIN stamp in the flat area. "302" cast in the valley lifter area and C8 cast block with 289 pistons etc. otherwise for internals.

C8 cast blocks or blocks with the flat area behind the intake DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY make them a 302 engine (internally). I imagine that a C8 block with a VIN stamp in the flat area would at least be a 68 model year engine since 67's did not stamp the VIN there (but the flat spot IS INDEED there for those built for 67 model year use)  I cannot vouch for when the FIRST or LAST 289 was built using the C8 block but I do know it was late in 67 production and went well into the 1968 model year production (like several month into production) so there ought to be both earlier & later final dates than the one I picture here. Bob Mannel's book on Small Block Fords discusses this but I imagine there is more that can be learned through discussions such as this.

Andrew@MagMustangs:
Just pulled the 289 out of a late built 68 C-Code Mustang and has C8 block with flat area behind intake and 302 cast in the valley. Block Dated [8E6] and has -B suffix in casting number. Definitely built by Ford as a 289.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version