1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1970 Boss

69-70 Tran-AM race car detail

<< < (2/3) > >>

427Fastback:
I understand what you are saying but I did not follow that line of thinking.My particular car is not a clone of any one car.I researched all 26 or so cars and took idea's from all cars.I purposely used a "R" model gas tank as they cant be bought and I would have to make my own..A fuel cell would have been too easy.Its all in the details and research...

It depends on how serious you are and how deep do you want to go in.To some a bunch of decals and a lemans gas cap make a replica.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 427Fastback on November 27, 2017, 03:41:29 PM ---I understand what you are saying but I did not follow that line of thinking.My particular car is not a clone of any one car.I researched all 26 or so cars and took idea's from all cars.I purposely used a "R" model gas tank as they cant be bought and I would have to make my own..A fuel cell would have been too easy.Its all in the details and research...

It depends on how serious you are and how deep do you want to go in.To some a bunch of decals and a lemans gas cap make a replica.

--- End quote ---
Another aspect to consider when choosing a restoration path is what type of events does a owner plan on participating in. There is not one answer that fits all. I know at least some vintage race groups for instance require a fuel cell as well as other safety improvements like belts ,fire systems ,electrical cut offs, tow car eyelets etc. that were not on vintage cars.  That plays into how serious you are about actually running the car in vintage race events vs. a car restored in historic details to show and drive in club open track events. You would have to research specific regions and their race groups to determine what is required that would not be a back in the day historic detail .   

427Fastback:
That is very true.I used a fuel tank as apposed to a cell because that's what they used in 67.Not likely legal today to even use on the track.I also used period correct brakes and I doubt they use them today.I do have a roll bar,battery cut off and proper belts.Building a car to pass todays tech requires a slightly different approach...I live a long ways away from any historic T/A racing so it was never considered

I built this car purely for fun.Fun to build and fun to drive.It was not built for resale or magazines.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 427Fastback on November 27, 2017, 05:04:36 PM ---That is very true.I used a fuel tank as apposed to a cell because that's what they used in 67.Not likely legal today to even use on the track.I also used period correct brakes and I doubt they use them today.I do have a roll bar,battery cut off and proper belts.Building a car to pass todays tech requires a slightly different approach...I live a long ways away from any historic T/A racing so it was never considered

I built this car purely for fun.Fun to build and fun to drive.It was not built for resale or magazines.

--- End quote ---
On the contrary the vintage brakes are what is expected in the vintage events . The Ford equivalent of what was raced back in the day . For example the the 67 TA cars had drum brakes in the rear and that is what is expected. In 68 TA cars used rear disc brakes and that would be expected. Some groups are more stringent then others in allowing upgrades on earlier year cars to later year upgrade.

427Fastback:
OK....I have the 10x2 1/2 drums on the back.I don't have the Lincoln front disc's tho.It currently uses 68 single piston on drilled rotors with 70 spindles..I may switch it later.I also have most of the suspension tricks/mods done.When I am finished putting my 68 Fastback back together I am going to revisit the 67..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version