Author Topic: Correct rear shackles for 1968 dual exhaust car?  (Read 4010 times)

Online jwc66k

Re: Correct rear shackles for 1968 dual exhaust car?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 12:13:24 AM »
The shackles are natural/tumbled . The NOS service shackles are also bare steel.
Natural, aka untreated, steel rusts. Original steel shackles are rusty (that's unfortunately true). My solution is to bead blast and phosphate them - lightly. It's very close in appearance to a part stamped from cold rolled steel (CRS) bar, and oiled down as part of the process, to keep the stamping die from failing.
It's your choice, base steel, or a light phosphate and oil finish.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 01:06:49 AM »
Natural, aka untreated, steel rusts. Original steel shackles are rusty (that's unfortunately true). My solution is to bead blast and phosphate them - lightly. It's very close in appearance to a part stamped from cold rolled steel (CRS) bar, and oiled down as part of the process, to keep the stamping die from failing.
Jim
It just depends on your expectations. The most authentic look is bare steel . Bare steel can be protected with any one of many rust preventive products on the market. It will need to be routinely maintained.  With that said I agree a very light phosphate treatment will protect and hold the preserving oil /treatment better.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »
I can confirm your suspicion Charles. Both shackles are the same on my November built Shelby. I did wind up finding a set off of a dual exhaust car with the special shackle. I always understood that 1967 dual exhaust cars didn't have the one special shackle?                                                                                                             -Keith

As another data point my SJ Mar 2 Shelby has the special shackles.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »
Jim

Jim -- I agree that a very light PO finish looks much like bare steel and is more resistant to rust.
I was just wondering about what assembly line was. I should learn to preface my remark with "assembly line."
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 04:57:31 PM »
Kieth,67 dual exhaust cars have the special shackle but it was eliminated for 68 . I have lost count of all of the early and late 67 original examples I have observed with the special shackle. For additional evidence the special shackle is shown in the 67 assembly manuals as well.
Bob: I have a set of the "special" shackles. I just need them restored. I misunderstood a conversation with you about them in the past. I understood most 1967 cars didn't have them?
                                                                                                                 -Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
Bob: I have a set of the "special" shackles. I just need them restored. I misunderstood a conversation with you about them in the past. I understood most 1967 cars didn't have them?
                                                                                                                 -Keith
Keith ,If you mean non duel exhaust 67 Mustangs didn't get them I would concur. I can only assume regular 67 duel exhaust Mustangs got them given the preponderance of evidence to support that it was typical for 67 Shelby's early and late to have them. It is hard to restore a original set if it has a lot of pitting. There is only so much you can do to make the pits disappear in bare metal. Bondo and paint is a different story. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:06:36 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 07:08:22 PM »
If you mean non duel exhaust 67 Mustangs didn't get them I would concur. I can only assume regular 67 duel exhaust Mustangs got them given the preponderance of evidence to support that it was typical for 67 Shelby's early and late to have them. ..............

+1

Would add that early and late dual exhaust unrestored Mustangs are typically found with the "different" one shackle as was practiced on 65-66's
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)