Author Topic: Washing your Mustang  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Washing your Mustang
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
Just wondering if people actually wash their restored Mustangs with car wash and a garden hose or do they use some kind of wet cloth to run over the surface. If you wash one like a regular car, will that effect your phosphate plated parts and other parts that you spend so many hours trying to get perfect.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline dave6768

Re: Washing your Mustang
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
I don't wash mine but once in a blue moon.  When I do, I use special car cleaner.  Regular dish soap cuts that wax...not a good thing.  For the most part, I use Mothers Showtime and a soft rag and keep it wiped down.  From time to time, a dusting with a California duster.  The more wax you keep on it the better.  The cleaner the car, the easier it is to keep it clean.
Dave

Offline 1972lucy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 04:07:15 PM »
Just about everyone in our car club uses the Adam's car care system.  It's amazing and I have yet to come across anything that's better.  I've used Mother's, Meguiar's and 3M products, but nothing else will touch my car.  My boyfriend started using Adam's about 4 years ago, and ever since, he's never had to wash his car.  Just some detail spray and an Adam's cloth, and it's show ready.  We used to spend hours the Friday before and then hours again at the show cleaning the cars.  Now we rarely clean before the show and it takes about 30 mins at the show to get her ready, including the engine and interior.  It's a little pricey, but it will last us (doing 2 cars) all season.  You'll pay more for the other stuff in the long run.  And no I'm not a salesman, I'm just a very satisfied and loyal customer.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 05:26:30 PM »
I hardly wash my 65 fastback but occasionally I have to since I am here in Phoenix and the dust blows around.  When I do wash it, I use this stuff called Zano. My dad started using it a few years ago and likes the results on his Shelby.  I mainly use the quick detail that they produce.  My friend with a 70 Roadrunner also uses the same stuff and loves it.  One tip I do is I make sure I use the shower or mist setting on the hose nozzle as to not have a lot of unnecessary water go on the car.  I try to avoid having water go near the cowl or the spaces in between the fenders and hood so I don't get any in the engine compartment.  Then use an air compressor to get water out of the door jams, trunk channel, and fresh air vents. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline DeadStang

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »
I only use Ultra Luster, which is similar to Dri Wash'n Guard, but easier to use.  No water.  Ever.

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »
Haven't washed my 65 Shelby since the restoration in 1992.
Use Calfornia Duster and well waxed.
Texas Swede