1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1970 Mustang

Buck Tag Mounting

<< < (2/3) > >>

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 1970 Snake on January 19, 2018, 02:09:25 AM ---Another question, was the rotation number marked in say white paint or marker on the front of the rad saddle somewhere or on the frame below the rad saddle??

--- End quote ---

The second rotation number on a 70 Dearborn Mustang is often found on the front face of the front cross member at the lower hood latch support attaching whole. And example from early in the year  in white

1970 Snake:
Thanks again Jeff, I have that marking but it doesn't seem to match either of my rotation numbers, its hard to see but looks like  9 A X see attached pic

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 1970 Snake on January 19, 2018, 12:24:55 PM ---Thanks again Jeff, I have that marking but it doesn't seem to match either of my rotation numbers, its hard to see but looks like  9 A X see attached pic

--- End quote ---

The 9 may be the last letter of what is left of your rotation number. The "X" is often a poorly applied "F" that disignated that the body was for a Mustang (seen it before at San Jose and Dearborn during a couple of years of production)  since the Cougars were built on the same line and from the front during a large part of the assembly its had to tell the two apart quickly and from a distance

"A" on you car is something new and likely connected to something that needed calling out to one or more stations down the line

1970 Snake:
Thanks again, I wish I had been more careful and taken better pictures during disassembly, which I did 10 years ago and at that time wasn't looking at doing a concours type restoration. I find this hold thing very interesting, hence all the questions, so what you are saying is that probably the 51 was in front of the 9 but has probably got rubbed off or dissolved/degraded over the years??

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 1970 Snake on January 20, 2018, 12:22:13 AM ---Thanks again, I wish I had been more careful and taken better pictures during disassembly, which I did 10 years ago and at that time wasn't looking at doing a concours type restoration. I find this hold thing very interesting, hence all the questions, ...
--- End quote ---

No problem - that is what we and the site is here for

--- Quote from: 1970 Snake on January 20, 2018, 12:22:13 AM ---.....so what you are saying is that probably the 51 was in front of the 9 but has probably got rubbed off or dissolved/degraded over the years??

--- End quote ---

Given that we have found the second rotation number applied in that general area on other cars that same plant and year and that the last digit is still visible on your car I don' think its a stretch to assume that the rest of the numbers were there at one time. If I saw that and the other markings on your car or others I would much more likely ask if the A was original to your car and if you had taken any pictures of it before the restoration.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version